Former prisoner undergoing sex change files suit
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 29 2002 12:00 AM ET
A Canadian citizen who was in the process of transitioning from a biological male to a female when sent to Montana State Prison in 1999 is suing the state and federal government for alleged mistreatment while behind bars. Alexandria Tucker's lawsuit, filed in U.S. district court last week, seeks $18 million in damages from Montana and federal officials whom Tucker holds responsible for abuses allegedly suffered while locked in a men's prison for 19 months.
The defendants displayed a "deliberate and continued pattern and practice of discrimination, harassment, intimidation, assault, causing bodily injury toward persons thought to be homosexual and/or transsexual," Tucker's complaint said. "Defendants mistook plaintiff's gender identity crisis as an invitation to sexually abuse, assault, and harm plaintiff."
Diana Leibinger-Koch, chief attorney for the Montana Department of Corrections, said Tuesday that the agency takes seriously Tucker's allegations but that she doubts many of them are true. "I think very little of this is true because I know the officers at Montana State Prison and they're very professional," she said. "Their conduct does not include things like this."
Although Tucker's gender situation two years after being paroled is unclear from the complaint, Tucker had male genitals and augmented breasts and was undergoing hormone treatments when arrested in 1998. Tucker, who lives in Victoria, British Columbia, claimed that when she attempted to complain about her treatment at the time, her complaints were met with retaliation by prison staff. She alleges that the federal government was at fault for ignoring her written complaints to the U.S. Department of Justice.
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias March 10 2014 6:08 PM