BY Julie Bolcer
March 11 2010 11:20 AM ET
ABC's Nightline correspondent Dan Harris traveled to Uganda for a segment on antigay attitudes and legislation in the country. He asked pastor Martin Ssempa, a virulently antigay voice, why he screens graphic gay pornography to promote his agenda among his congregation.
“Does all this fit in your mind with the spirit of Christianity, which is to help the oppressed?” asked Harris.
“Very much,” said Ssempa. “Very, very much. We need to know what are they doing in their bedroom. You cannot make comments out of ignorance. The problem is the absence of shock. You know, you look at something done. You’re not shocked.”
Harris pressed, “You can play porn between men and women and shock people too, but it’s not done very frequently.”
“Sure,” said Ssempa. “Anal activity. Anything having to do with eating of poop. Heterosexuals do not eat poop. The same way, if you have sex with a dog, sex with a cow, that’s evil.”
Watch the segment, part of Nightline's "Faith Matters" series, below.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- Op-ed: Democrats Throw Queers Under the Bus—Again
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra 6:30 PM
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' 12:35 PM