NYC Gay Bar Threatened
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 21 2010 9:50 PM ET
The Manhattan gay bar Chi Chiz is being targeted for closure by the New York Police Department, who say the watering hole is frequently the site of drug deals.
Activists and civil rights lawyers will go to Manhattan superior court Thursday to defend Chi Chiz. The Christopher Street bar attracts mostly gay African-American men and some are saying it's not drugs but racism and homophobia that are leading police and locals to organize against it.
"These are the same people who forced the city to tear down the Women's House of Detention on Sixth Avenue and Christopher Street," activist Allen Roskoff told the New York Post's Page Six. "Manhattan so-called liberals are only so when it affects others. Otherwise, they cry 'quality of life' and 'not in my neighborhood.'"
Click here for the full story.
- Gallery of Geek: Yannick Tallarida
- Op-ed: I'm a Trans Man Who Doesn't 'Pass' — And You Shouldn't Either
- Dan Savage Calls Out Duggar's 'Staggering' Family Values Hypocrisy
- Eurovision Winner Who Called Gays an 'Abnormality' Changes Tune
- Artist Spotlight: Ben McNutt
- The Cities LGBTs Love And the Ones We Shun