LGBT Clinic Passes Funding Goal
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 24 2010 7:15 PM ET
There’s a happy holiday for Chicago’s Howard Brown Health Center and its largely LGBT clientele — the center has exceeded its $500,000 in 50 days fund-raising goal.
At a reception Thursday, clinic officials announced that the drive had brought in $658,754 from 12,000 donors, Windy City Times reports. Major donors included an anonymous man whose HIV-positive son had received treatment at Howard Brown; the man, who put up $200,000 in challenge grants, joined in the reception via speakerphone, crediting the center with restoring his son’s health. Also, a $25,000 contribution came from Walgreen’s.
The clinic launched the fund drive in the wake of a shortfall caused by mishandling of a federal grant by managers who are no longer with the organization. CEO Jamal Edwards said the current leadership team has “changed the way Howard Brown does business and we have become more open and transparent in our operations. In doing so we are returning the community’s health center back to the community.”
Read more here.
- Dan Savage Calls Out Duggar's 'Staggering' Family Values Hypocrisy
- Op-ed: I'm a Trans Man Who Doesn't 'Pass' — And You Shouldn't Either
- 11 Sweet Celebrity Tweets Celebrating Ireland's Marriage Equality Win
- Ireland Votes Yes, Becomes First Nation in World to Approve Marriage Equality
- #TBT: The Battle for the Bulge
- New Orleans Mayor Counters Jindal's Order With One of Acceptance for All