LGBT Clinic Passes Funding Goal
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 24 2010 7:15 PM ET
There’s a happy holiday for Chicago’s Howard Brown Health Center and its largely LGBT clientele — the center has exceeded its $500,000 in 50 days fund-raising goal.
At a reception Thursday, clinic officials announced that the drive had brought in $658,754 from 12,000 donors, Windy City Times reports. Major donors included an anonymous man whose HIV-positive son had received treatment at Howard Brown; the man, who put up $200,000 in challenge grants, joined in the reception via speakerphone, crediting the center with restoring his son’s health. Also, a $25,000 contribution came from Walgreen’s.
The clinic launched the fund drive in the wake of a shortfall caused by mishandling of a federal grant by managers who are no longer with the organization. CEO Jamal Edwards said the current leadership team has “changed the way Howard Brown does business and we have become more open and transparent in our operations. In doing so we are returning the community’s health center back to the community.”
Read more here.
- Kris Humphries Blames Vague Tweet, Supports Bruce Jenner
- Bruce Jenner: 'I'm A Woman'
- Check Out The Enormous Support for Bruce Jenner from Celebs on Twitter
- Op-ed: Michfest's Founder Chose to Shut Down Rather Than Change With the Times
- Reba McEntire: First Time I Saw a Reba Drag Queen 'It Really Ticked Me Off'
- The Precarious Plight of Paul Richmond's Pinups