LGBT Clinic Passes Funding Goal
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 24 2010 7:15 PM ET
There’s a happy holiday for Chicago’s Howard Brown Health Center and its largely LGBT clientele — the center has exceeded its $500,000 in 50 days fund-raising goal.
At a reception Thursday, clinic officials announced that the drive had brought in $658,754 from 12,000 donors, Windy City Times reports. Major donors included an anonymous man whose HIV-positive son had received treatment at Howard Brown; the man, who put up $200,000 in challenge grants, joined in the reception via speakerphone, crediting the center with restoring his son’s health. Also, a $25,000 contribution came from Walgreen’s.
The clinic launched the fund drive in the wake of a shortfall caused by mishandling of a federal grant by managers who are no longer with the organization. CEO Jamal Edwards said the current leadership team has “changed the way Howard Brown does business and we have become more open and transparent in our operations. In doing so we are returning the community’s health center back to the community.”
Read more here.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Pride S.F. Gay Couple Throw Fund-raiser for Trans Woman's Breast Implants May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Jonathan Groff/Troian Bellisario Starrer C.O.G. to Open Outfest May 17 2013 7:04 PM
- Style WATCH: Nasty Pig Meets Naughty Dog May 17 2013 7:00 PM
- Sports UFC Comes Down Hard on Homophobic Wrestler May 17 2013 6:49 PM