Indian Lesbian Couple Granted Protection
BY Winston Gieseke
July 28 2011 7:30 PM ET
After receiving death threats from family members, India’s first married lesbian couple has been granted 24-hour police protection.
The women, Savita, 25, and Veena, 20, were married earlier this month in Haryana, near New Delhi, after the dissolution of Savita’s arranged marriage to a man. Following threats of “harsh steps” from Veena’s relatives and villagers, the couple approached the district court in Gurgaon and asked for protection.
Savita and Veena have been moved to a safe house and the court has served notice on 14 individuals who they say threatened the women with "dire consequences."
Read more here.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Lesbian Feminist Cathy Brennan Sues AfterEllen for Defamation
- U.S. Marine Claims 'Trans Panic' in Murder of Trans Filipina Jennifer Laude
- TBT: Mid-Century Dreamboats
- Trayvon Martin Killer George Zimmerman Proves He's a Racist Homophobe
- Why This Latina Photographer Documented the Moment She Came Out to Her Parents