Indian Lesbian Couple Granted Protection
BY Winston Gieseke
July 28 2011 6:30 PM ET
After receiving death threats from family members, India’s first married lesbian couple has been granted 24-hour police protection.
The women, Savita, 25, and Veena, 20, were married earlier this month in Haryana, near New Delhi, after the dissolution of Savita’s arranged marriage to a man. Following threats of “harsh steps” from Veena’s relatives and villagers, the couple approached the district court in Gurgaon and asked for protection.
Savita and Veena have been moved to a safe house and the court has served notice on 14 individuals who they say threatened the women with "dire consequences."
Read more here.
- Women WATCH: Gaga & Xtina's Amazing '70s-era Lesbian Duet of "Do What U Want!" 1 hour 4 min ago
- Marriage Equality NOH8 Founders Adam Bouska & Jeff Parshley on Campaign's 5th Anniversary December 17 2013 9:23 PM
- Travel What's Hot in England for 2014 December 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Women WATCH: Adorable Lesbian Takes on How to Practice the Smells and Sounds of Sex! December 17 2013 8:10 PM
- Politics Obama, Biden Won't Be at Olympics December 17 2013 6:34 PM
- Film Joseph Gordon-Levitt Joins Film Adaptation of LGBT-Inclusive Comic Book December 17 2013 5:43 PM
- The Wedding Channel WATCH: Gay Military Couple Share 'A Story About Love' December 17 2013 4:38 PM