Indian Lesbian Couple Granted Protection
BY Winston Gieseke
July 28 2011 7:30 PM ET
After receiving death threats from family members, India’s first married lesbian couple has been granted 24-hour police protection.
The women, Savita, 25, and Veena, 20, were married earlier this month in Haryana, near New Delhi, after the dissolution of Savita’s arranged marriage to a man. Following threats of “harsh steps” from Veena’s relatives and villagers, the couple approached the district court in Gurgaon and asked for protection.
Savita and Veena have been moved to a safe house and the court has served notice on 14 individuals who they say threatened the women with "dire consequences."
Read more here.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Artist Spotlight: Czanara
- Hot Sheet: Guardians and Go-Go Boys
- Michael Lannan's Looking Is More Than Gay Sex and the City
- 40 Under 40: Emerging Voices | Advocate.com
- Writers Lena Waithe & Justin Simien Show Hollywood It’s More Than Just Black & White