Raul Alvillar in as White House's LGBT Liaison, Brian Bond to DNC
BY Lucas Grindley
August 10 2011 8:45 PM ET
The White House announced today that its liaison to the LGBT community
is leaving for a job at the Democratic National Committee, and Raul
Alvillar has been appointed while the administration searches for a permanent
"We will have a full-time liaison to the LGBT community" come October, assured Shin Inouye, a White House spokesman.
Alvillar comes from the Office of the Vice President and replaces Brian Bond, who was there by President Barack Obama's side when he signed certification of repeal for the "don't ask, don't tell" policy. And as someone living with HIV, Bond described the administration's work on HIV/AIDS as "very personal for me."
Bond wrote about his experiences in a post in June on the new LGBT section of the White House's website to commemorate the 30th year of the AIDS pandemic.
"This anniversary is an opportunity to recommit ourselves to raising awareness about HIV/AIDS," Bond wrote. "We owe it to those that are no longer with us."
Alvillar was widely praised in an article by the Washington Blade, which first reported the move, for his service as a congressional relations officer for the Department of Housing and Urban Development. He worked on Obama's 2008 presidential campaign and helped run outreach on LGBT issues then.
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Porn Star Wilfried Knight Commits Suicide After Long Battle With Immigration
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Current Issue We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago 30 min 51 sec ago
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship May 22 2013 7:03 PM
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy May 22 2013 7:01 PM
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall May 22 2013 6:16 PM