Actor on Sex Scene with Ryan Kwanten and Sal Mineo Biopic
BY Jeremy Kinser
August 19 2011 1:20 PM ET
Actor Jim Parrack, who plays vampire-smitten Hoyt Fortenberry on the HBO hit True Blood, talks about a sex scene he recently filmed with costar Ryan Kwanten as well as his role in James Franco's upcoming film about murdered gay actor Sal Mineo in an interview with New York magazine.
Parrack is asked about the sex scene, which happened during a dream had by Jason Stackhouse (Kwanten's character). "I still haven’t seen that, but to play the cowgirl straddling my buddy?" he says with a laugh. "That was a very interesting scene to shoot, to say the least."
Parrack also appears in close friend James Franco's upcoming film, Sal, as actor Keir Dullea. The film, which chronicles the last days of actor Mineo as he was appearing in the play P.S. Your Cat Is Dead, will premiere at the Venice Film Festival later this month.
"There’s some great material," Parrack says of the screenplay, adapted from Michael Gregg Michaud's highly regarded biography. "It’s amazing to me that Sal Mineo was getting nominated for Oscars [for 1955's Rebel Without a Cause and 1960's Exodus] but then when he came out as a homosexual, he lost everything."
He also gives a shout-out to actor Val Lauren, who plays Mineo. "He is going to fucking blow people’s minds," Parrack says. "He is going to break your heart and make you fall in love with Sal — how he kept his dream alive, how he wasn’t bitter, how he wasn’t blaming anyone, up to that last tragic moment."
Asked if he sought advice from Dullea, who starred in the sci-fi classic 2001: A Space Odyssey and costarred in Mineo's last play, Parrack says no. "Look, if I do that, he might tell me things that could go against my instinct. I don’t know if he was bisexual, but I sensed that about him, so I took that idea to James, and we incorporated that. Not in an obvious way, not that I’m flirting with boys, but just suggesting that it’s possible."
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 2 hours 3 min ago
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM