Pastor Defends Teacher Accused of Antigay Facebook Rant
BY Julie Bolcer
October 18 2011 9:45 AM ET
The pastor of Viki Knox, the New Jersey high school teacher under investigation for posting homophobic comments on Facebook, said that she is a “very loving person.”
The Washington Post reports on the defense from the Rev. Milton B. Hobbs, pastor of New Covenant Fellowship in Clark, N.J. He said that Knox, a special education teacher in Union, should not be fired for expressing her religious beliefs and that her comments were not false when taken in the context of the Bible.
“No one is pointing to homosexuality as the ultimate sin. We all have sinned,” he said. “It’s not saying that people who are gay sin any more or less than anyone else. But to say that the Bible doesn’t say it’s a sin would be untrue. It does say that.”
Hobbs positioned the matter as a free speech issue.
“Any Christian who makes a stand that’s unpopular can expect to be persecuted. That’s in the Bible, too,” he said. “But no American should expect to be prosecuted for exercising free speech. At what point does that stop?”
Last week, it was revealed that Knox called homosexuality a “perverted spirit” on Facebook, where she also complained her public school’s recognition of October as LGBT History Month. The Human Rights Campaign later found that Knox, who serves as the faculty adviser to a prayer group, had used Twitter to denounce the repeal of the “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy last month.
Garden State Equality, the statewide LGBT lobbying group, has called on the Union Township school district to remove Knox. The group expressed concern about her ability to enforce the state’s new antibullying law given her professed beliefs. They plan a protest at the school board meeting this evening.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- You Think You’re Worried?
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional December 04 2013 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs December 04 2013 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth December 04 2013 3:37 PM