Harvey Milk Remembered: Let That Bullet Shatter Every Closet Door
BY Jeremy Kinser
November 27 2011 6:53 PM ET
Today marks 33 years since out politician Harvey Milk was assassinated in San Francisco, but his accomplishments continue to enthrall and inspire us.
Having received death threats, Milk realized his sexual orientation made him a target. Shortly before he was shot to death by Dan White, he said, "If a bullet should enter my brain, let that bullet also destroy every closet door in the country."
In 2008, to commemorate the 30th anniversary of his death and the release of the film Milk, The Advocate interviewed Harvey's friends and associates and speculated on what might have been. Read the article here.
Listen to one of his most inspiring speeches below.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- UFC Women's Champ Refuses to Fight Trans Athlete Fallon Fox
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Straight Talk With Years & Years' Olly Alexander, the U.K.'s New Gay Pop Star
- 60 Homoerotic Album Covers
- What Would Maura On Transparent Think of Caitlyn Jenner?