Harvey Milk Remembered: Let That Bullet Shatter Every Closet Door
BY Jeremy Kinser
November 27 2011 5:53 PM ET
Today marks 33 years since out politician Harvey Milk was assassinated in San Francisco, but his accomplishments continue to enthrall and inspire us.
Having received death threats, Milk realized his sexual orientation made him a target. Shortly before he was shot to death by Dan White, he said, "If a bullet should enter my brain, let that bullet also destroy every closet door in the country."
In 2008, to commemorate the 30th anniversary of his death and the release of the film Milk, The Advocate interviewed Harvey's friends and associates and speculated on what might have been. Read the article here.
Listen to one of his most inspiring speeches below.
- These 48 Trans Women and Men Changed the World
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Op-ed: Why I Quit My Job at the United Nations
- Op-ed: How Gay Genius Alan Turing Got Me Through Middle School
- WATCH: Obama Bundler, HRC Founder Terry Bean Arrested on Sex Crimes Charges
- Robbie Rogers's Memoir Kicks Around Depression, Redemption, And Coming Out