Harvey Milk Remembered: Let That Bullet Shatter Every Closet Door
BY Jeremy Kinser
November 27 2011 6:53 PM ET
Today marks 33 years since out politician Harvey Milk was assassinated in San Francisco, but his accomplishments continue to enthrall and inspire us.
Having received death threats, Milk realized his sexual orientation made him a target. Shortly before he was shot to death by Dan White, he said, "If a bullet should enter my brain, let that bullet also destroy every closet door in the country."
In 2008, to commemorate the 30th anniversary of his death and the release of the film Milk, The Advocate interviewed Harvey's friends and associates and speculated on what might have been. Read the article here.
Listen to one of his most inspiring speeches below.
- WATCH: As Marriage Equality Spreads, Judge Rules NOM Can't Recoup $700K in Legal Fees
- Op-ed: How The Way He Looks Will Open Your Eyes
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- 'God's Not Afraid of New Things,' Pope Tells Antigay Bishops
- WATCH: CNN's Cooper, Lemon Explore Their Roots in Special Program
- Hot Tickets: Broadway's Out Leading Men