Harvey Milk Remembered: Let That Bullet Shatter Every Closet Door
BY Jeremy Kinser
November 27 2011 6:53 PM ET
Today marks 33 years since out politician Harvey Milk was assassinated in San Francisco, but his accomplishments continue to enthrall and inspire us.
Having received death threats, Milk realized his sexual orientation made him a target. Shortly before he was shot to death by Dan White, he said, "If a bullet should enter my brain, let that bullet also destroy every closet door in the country."
In 2008, to commemorate the 30th anniversary of his death and the release of the film Milk, The Advocate interviewed Harvey's friends and associates and speculated on what might have been. Read the article here.
Listen to one of his most inspiring speeches below.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Boys Wear Skirts to Class in Protest After School Fines Trans Girl for Wearing Skirt
- WATCH: Finding the Funny in "Ex-Gay" Marriages and a Queerpocalypse
- Meet the Iowa Lesbians Finally Married After 72 Years
- Ugandan LGBT-rights Activist Granted Asylum
- The 50 Most Influential LGBT People in Media