Intersex Mayor Elected in Australia
BY Winston Gieseke
December 09 2011 8:50 PM ET
The city of Melbourne has elected Australia’s first intersex mayor.
Last month councillor Tony Briffa, a longtime supporter of the gay community, was voted into the top position in Hobsons Bay, a section of Melbourne that includes the suburbs of Altona, Brooklyn, Laverton, Newport, and Williamstown.
“I am excited about the future of our community and look forward to serving the city with enthusiasm and pride,” Briffa said after the election.
During his campaign, Briffa promised that, if elected, he would attend Victoria’s upcoming pride march in full mayoral robes.
“We share Tony’s hope that his election will break down taboos associated with intersex differences,” said National LGBTI Health Alliance board member Gina Wilson. “Tony is a wonderful example of how intersex people can overcome the devastating and unnecessary medical treatment meted out to so many intersex children, and go on to become champions of human rights and cultural diversity for everyone.”
In addition to gay rights, Briffa is also an advocate for community diversity and environmental issues.
Read the full story here.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 2 hours 10 min ago
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 2 hours 50 min ago
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM