Rush Limbaugh Jabs Lesbians Getting Divorced, They Jab Back
BY Lucas Grindley
March 07 2012 5:51 PM ET
Rush Limbaugh took at jab at all same-sex marriages after hearing the news that the lesbian couple who were among the first to marry in California are now getting a divorce. But they're perfectly capable of jabbing back, just not with a built-in national audience.
Limbaugh, who is on his fourth marriage, criticized Robin Tyler and Diane Olson for how long they were married.
"Did you see that the poster couple for gay marriage in California are getting a divorce? You see that? It's true," he said on his radio show in February. "It's two women, they were among the first 14 same-sex couples who got married on the day the ban was lifted in California back in June of 2008. I guess the national average, three and a half years, is what their marriage lasted, maybe it's the California average. I'm not sure."
What he leaves out is that Tyler and Olson were a couple for 18 years, applying for a marriage license every year since 2001. They were the first couple to legally marry in Los Angeles County, where they sued for the right. Tyler, an activist and a comedian for 40 years, wasn't amused but kept her sense of humor.
"Rush Limbaugh is two or three divorces ahead of me," she said in a statement to The Advocate. "He is the kind of guy who thinks women are sluts and lesbians have penis envy. Well, I don't have penis envy. I have 12 at home in a drawer in Northridge. I get excited in New York and my drawer pops open in California!"
Always insightful, Limbaugh pondered the complexities of lesbian divorce.
"I wonder if they designated one of them the husband so that he gets all the blame and has to pay all the alimony," he said. "How does that work?"
If Limbaugh was kidding, Tyler sees a lot of his true self in his joking. She is a pioneering out gay comedian and made the first album of unabashedly gay comedy, called Always a Bridesmaid, Never A Groom, in the '70s.
"I will give him one thing," she said. "I believe that Rush Limbaugh is great for birth control. I mean, who the hell would want to sleep with him?"
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer
- HHS Orders Insurers to Cover All Married Same-Sex Couples
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver March 14 2014 7:30 PM
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans March 14 2014 6:55 PM
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 March 14 2014 6:41 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages March 14 2014 6:39 PM
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? March 14 2014 5:30 PM
- Media Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer March 14 2014 4:37 PM
- Health HHS Orders Insurers to Cover All Married Same-Sex Couples March 14 2014 4:14 PM