School Official Wants Gays Dead
BY Neal Broverman
October 26 2010 3:00 PM ET
While schools across the country are taking action against bullying and suicide, a board member of an Arkansas school district is using his Facebook page to encourage "queers" and "fags" to kill themselves.
Clint McCance is a board member in the Midland school district in northern Arkansas. Responding to a call to wear purple last Wednesday to support LGBT youth, McCance wrote the following message on his Facebook page: "Seriously they want me to wear purple because five queers killed themselves. The only way im wearin it for them is if they all commit suicide. I cant believe the people of this world have gotten this stupid. We are honoring the fact that they sinned and killed thereselves because of their sin. REALLY PEOPLE."
Initially, six people "liked" McCance's message. He also received supportive comments, though some challenged his statement. A commenter wrote, "Because hatred is always right." That led McCance to write, "No because being a fag doesn't give you the right to ruin the rest of our lives. If you get easily offended by being called a fag then dont tell anyone you are a fag. Keep that shit to yourself. I dont care how people decide to live their lives. They dont bother me if they keep it to thereselves. It pisses me off though that we make a special purple fag day for them. I like that fags cant procreate. I also enjoy the fact that they often give each other aids and die. If you arent against it, you might as well be for it."
McCance was again challenged on his
statements — and his Christianity. Wrote one commenter: "YOU NEED TO STOP AND THINK FOR A SEC
GREAT YOU BIG CHRISTIAN MAN ! SO KEEP ALL OF YOUR THOUGHTS TO YOUR SELF
YOU DONT WANT PPL TALKIN ABOUT YOUR FAMILY SO DONT TALK BOUT OTHERS."
responded with, "I would disown my kids they were gay. They will not be
welcome at my home or in my vicinity. I will absolutely run them off.
Of course my kids will know better. My kids will have solid christian
beliefs. See it infects everyone."
not clear if McCance has taken down the thread, since his Facebook
page is private — the messages were made available to The Advocate via a forwarded screen capture. The superintendent of the Midland school district was
unavailable and a phone call to the principal of the Midland High School
was not returned. There was no response to e-mails to the superintendent and to the secretary of
the Midland school board.
McCance has put a face on the hate that devastates our young people,"
says Human Rights Campaign president Joe Solmonese. "McCance shouldn't be
allowed near children, let alone managing their education. We call for
his immediate resignation from the school board."
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
- Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader 40 min 2 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? 44 min 25 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! 2 hours 15 min ago
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. 2 hours 19 min ago
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' 2 hours 41 min ago
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude 2 hours 44 min ago
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth 6:34 PM