French Catholic Church to Pray Against Marriage Equality
BY Julie Bolcer
August 06 2012 11:16 AM ET
The French Catholic Church plans to resurrect a centuries-old custom next week with an updated “prayer for France” that includes opposition to marriage equality and adoption by same-sex couples.
Reuters reports on the prayer to be read in all churches on August 15, a revival of a practice decreed by King Louis XIII in 1638 that dwindled after Word War II.
“In the text, Catholics will pray for newly elected officials ‘so that their sense of the common good will overcome special demands,’” reports the news agency. “This would include support for traditional families ‘throughout their lives, especially in painful moments.’”
The prayer also says that children should "cease to be objects of the desires and conflicts of adults and fully benefit from the love of a father and a mother." The church will also pray against anticipated reforms to euthanasia in France.
Socialist president Francois Hollande won election in May and pledged during the campaign to bring marriage equality and adoption rights for same-sex couples to the country by early next year. Marriage equality has majority support in France, where most people are Roman Catholic but the culture is deeply secular.
French bishops typically avoid entering political debates, but Reuters reports that spokesman Monsignor Bernard Podvin said the church wanted to “raise the consciousness of public opinion about grave social choices.”
The prayer effort follows the Catholic Church’s outspokenness against recent plans to legalize same-sex marriage in England and Scotland. Pope Benedict XVI denounced the momentum for marriage equality in the United States during a visit of American bishops to the Vatican in March.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Celebrate Bent-Con With 7 Great LGBTQ Graphic Novels
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination December 07 2013 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer December 07 2013 4:00 AM