France to Legalize Same-Sex Marriage in 'the Next Few Months'
BY Lucas Grindley
June 29 2012 5:59 PM ET
The new president of France will legalize same-sex marriage in "the next few months," according to a statement from his office reported by Reuters.
President Francois Hollande and his Socialist party campaigned on marriage equality, and with a solid majority in Parliament it is largely up to them on the timing of changes.
The administration also plans to ensure adoption by same-sex couples is legal in France, and it will hold a series of discussions on what can be done to help transgender people specifically. Those moves will happen before the end of the year, administration officials have said, according to the Reuters report.
- Yet Another Court Tells Bobby Jindal to Issue Marriage Licenses
- Op-ed: What Happened When President Obama Met Two Trans Service Members
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Smacks Down States Resisting Marriage Equality
- Out Photographer Slammed for Gay Iwo Jima Re-Creation
- The Marriage Equality Photo Seen Round the World
- The World Is Finally Ready For the Lost Recordings of '70s Gay Rockers Smokey