France to Legalize Same-Sex Marriage in 'the Next Few Months'
BY Lucas Grindley
June 29 2012 5:59 PM ET
The new president of France will legalize same-sex marriage in "the next few months," according to a statement from his office reported by Reuters.
President Francois Hollande and his Socialist party campaigned on marriage equality, and with a solid majority in Parliament it is largely up to them on the timing of changes.
The administration also plans to ensure adoption by same-sex couples is legal in France, and it will hold a series of discussions on what can be done to help transgender people specifically. Those moves will happen before the end of the year, administration officials have said, according to the Reuters report.
- WATCH: Gay Couple Assaulted at Dallas BBQ in Chelsea
- Meet the Same-Sex Couple Who Made Dodger Stadium Swoon
- WATCH: Jon Stewart's Mic-Drop on Antigay GOP's 'Slim Chances' at White House
- POLL: Americans Prefer Gay President to Evangelical or Tea Partier
- Op-ed: The Dire State of Louisiana LGBTs
- WATCH: You’ll Cry When You See What Happened During That Gay-Straight Prom Date