France to Legalize Same-Sex Marriage in 'the Next Few Months'
BY Lucas Grindley
June 29 2012 4:59 PM ET
The new president of France will legalize same-sex marriage in "the next few months," according to a statement from his office reported by Reuters.
President Francois Hollande and his Socialist party campaigned on marriage equality, and with a solid majority in Parliament it is largely up to them on the timing of changes.
The administration also plans to ensure adoption by same-sex couples is legal in France, and it will hold a series of discussions on what can be done to help transgender people specifically. Those moves will happen before the end of the year, administration officials have said, according to the Reuters report.
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 17 min 18 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM
- Women Who the F Is … California Politico Toni Atkins? March 07 2014 5:53 PM