France to Legalize Same-Sex Marriage in 'the Next Few Months'
BY Lucas Grindley
June 29 2012 5:59 PM ET
The new president of France will legalize same-sex marriage in "the next few months," according to a statement from his office reported by Reuters.
President Francois Hollande and his Socialist party campaigned on marriage equality, and with a solid majority in Parliament it is largely up to them on the timing of changes.
The administration also plans to ensure adoption by same-sex couples is legal in France, and it will hold a series of discussions on what can be done to help transgender people specifically. Those moves will happen before the end of the year, administration officials have said, according to the Reuters report.
- WATCH: Bianca Del Rio and Adore Delano Star in Starbucks' First LGBT Commercial
- Couple Plead Guilty to Torture Death of 8-Year-Old They Thought Was Gay
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Tim Cook: Being Gay Has Helped Me Lead Apple
- #TBT: Halloween Do's and Don'ts
- Dallas Airport Attacker Unlikely to Face Hate Crime Charges