WATCH: Ugandan Lesbian Speaks Against 'Kill the Gays' Bill
BY Sunnivie Brydum
December 05 2012 12:44 PM ET
Kasha Jacqueline Nabagesera, a lesbian Ugandan and founder of the country's LGBT advocacy group Freedom and Roam Uganda, has filmed a brief video speaking about the implications of the country's so-called Kill The Gays bill, which could come up for a parliamentary vote in the coming weeks. Truthloader posted the video Monday.
"What the bill is trying to do is just make it illegal for me to be who I am, for simply saying 'I am a lesbian,'" Nabagesera saysin the video.
The Anti-Homosexuality Bill was passed by a parliamentary committee earlier this month, and now sits at the top of the Parliament's Orders Papers, listed first under "Business to Follow." While it's unclear when, exactly, the bill will be debated, Speaker of Parliament Rebecca Kadaga promised that the chamber will pass the bill as a "Christmas gift" to Ugandans who are "demanding it."
Despite widespread reports to the contrary, the death penalty has not been removed from the draft legislation. The bill still prescribes capital punishment for anyone found guilty of "aggravated homosexuality," which includes repeat offenders, HIV-positive people, anyone who has sex with a minor, anyone who has sex with a person with a disability, or anyone who is intoxicated by "any drug, matter or thing with intent to stupefy overpower him or her so as to there by enable any person to have unlawful carnal connection with any person of the same sex." The bill also demands three-year prison sentences for any family member, friend, or neighbor who does not turn in a "known homosexual" to the police.
Watch Nabagesera explain the bill in her own words below.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good as Dead, Say Advocates
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Film New Man Of Steel and Wolverine Trailers Debut 14 min ago
- Travel Top 10 Ways to Score and Upgrade on Your Next Flight 50 min 6 sec ago
- Travel A Perfect Day in Rio 1 hour 17 min ago
- Marriage Equality Recalls of Pro-Marriage Equality Lawmakers Quashed in Minnesota 5:30 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout 4:34 AM
- Current Issue A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World 4:00 AM
- Current Issue A Home of Our Own 4:00 AM