Scotland Establishes Marriage Equality
BY Kevin OKeeffe
February 04 2014 3:15 PM ET
Scotland passed the Marriage and Civil Partnership (Scotland) Bill today, paving the way for same-sex marriages to begin in the fall, reports BuzzFeed.
The bill passed by a vote of 105-18 in the Scottish Parliament, allowing Scotland to join with fellow United Kingdom jurisdictions England and Wales in establishing marriage equality.
"I believe this bill will have a hugely positive impact on our society and on the health and well-being of LGBT of people in our country," said Jim Eadie, a member of Parliament. "This is a profound moment in our nation’s history."
The bill had bipartisan support, though it was opposed by the Church of Scotland and Scottish Catholic Church. Under the new law, religious groups will not be required to perform same-sex marriages, but may opt-in should they choose to recognize such unions.
Both England and Wales passed similar bills in 2013. They are set to begin marrying same-sex couples next month.
The bill's passage also signifies the end of Scotland's "spousal veto" rule, a law that required transgender people's spouses to sign off on changing their gender.
Scotland had been debating establishing marriage equality for some time. The Marriage and Civil Partnership (Scotland) Bill was first introduced into Parliament in June 2013.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Gay Politics - Marriage Equality, Gay Rights, Anti-Discrimination
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open March 09 2014 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play March 09 2014 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' March 09 2014 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM