Hate Group Leader Refuses to Answer Question About His Sexuality
BY Jase Peeples
May 09 2013 4:21 PM ET
Bryan Fischer, conservative radio host and director of issues analysis for the hate group American Family Association, may have revealed his hatred of LGBT people stems from self-loathing.
Fischer recently appeared on Alan Colmes’s radio program Liberaland to explain his views on several subjects, including his belief that President Obama wants to take guns away from Christians and that homosexuality would cause the collapse of the Western economy.
However, Kyle Mantyla of RightWingWatch reports, “Things took a turn for the awkward near the end of the interview when Colmes asked Fischer about his theory that being selective in one's choice of sexual partners demonstrates that being gay is a choice.” After Fischer stated that his theory proves “people are not obligated to act on every sexual impulse that they experience,” Colmes asked if the Fischer had ever experienced any gay impulses of his own. The hate-group leader refused to answer the question and became irate when Colmes continued to press him.
Listen to a clip and read the full transcript from RightWingWatch of the show’s awkward moment below.
Colmes: Have you ever had a gay impulse?
Fischer: (Laughing) Alan, I am not going to talk about that ...
Colmes: I'm just wondering ...
Fischer: Alan, I'm not going to go there. Give it a rest, Alan ...
Colmes: It's a simple yes or no question.
Fischer: We're not going to talk about that.
Colmes: Because maybe if you've been able to overcome your gay impulses and you've been successful in doing it, you could be a model for other people you'd like to see act the same way.
Fischer: The focus here, Alan, is that everybody experiences sexual impulses that if they acted on those impulses, it would destroy them.
Colmes: Well, can you give me an example from your own life? What would be some of yours?
Fischer: You've experienced them ...
Colmes: I have?
Fischer: I've experienced them. Every man, every woman has experienced certain sexual impulses that, if they acted on them, if they conducted themselves by yielding to those impulses, it would destroy them. Ask Tiger Woods about that.
Colmes: I don't think I've ever had sexual impulses that would destroy the society or the culture or make me a deviant in some way. I honestly don't think that's ever happened, even in your eyes, so I'm surprised. I wonder what impulses you're talking about. If you've had them, I'd love to know what they are.
Fischer: Well, the focus, Alan, is on sexual conduct, sexual behavior, not on sexual impulse ...
Colmes: So you won't tell me whether you yourself have been able to overcome a gay impulse?
Fischer: Alan, give it a rest.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Says Pat Robertson
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts New Anthem Supporting LGBT Russians
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher 30 min ago
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts 1 hour 34 sec ago
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex 1 hour 56 min ago
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study 2 hours 43 min ago
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians 6:08 PM
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson 6:03 PM
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! 4:20 PM