Gay Romney Supporter Switches to Obama, Wants Money Back
BY Michelle Garcia
May 15 2012 2:09 PM ET
A gay former supporter of Mitt Romney is asking the campaign for his money back now that President Barack Obama has endorsed marriage equality.
Bill White, the chairman and CEO of consulting firm Constellations Group and former president of the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum, sent a letter to the Romney campaign after Romney's recent commencement address at Liberty University, reinforcing his position against marriage equality.
"I feel that I no longer wish to support your presidential campaign and ask that you please return the maximum contribution that I gave to you last year," White wrote in a letter obtained by CNN. He added, "You have chosen to be on the wrong side of history and I do not support your run for president any longer."
White gave the maximum individual donation to the Romney campaign, $2,500. White is not affiliated with the Democrats or Republicans, and said that he has supported presidents Bill Clinton and George W. Bush. He also donated to Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign in 2008.
White told CNN that he still sides mostly with Romney on fiscal concerns, but Obama's recent revelation has changed his vote.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 36 min 12 sec ago
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship 1 hour 47 min ago
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy 1 hour 49 min ago
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall 2 hours 34 min ago
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality 2 hours 41 min ago
- Travel Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples 5:07 PM
- Women SheWired Shot of the Day: Chloe Sevigny Absolut-ly Sizzles for Elyxr 4:50 PM