Gay Romney Supporter Switches to Obama, Wants Money Back
BY Michelle Garcia
May 15 2012 1:09 PM ET
A gay former supporter of Mitt Romney is asking the campaign for his money back now that President Barack Obama has endorsed marriage equality.
Bill White, the chairman and CEO of consulting firm Constellations Group and former president of the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum, sent a letter to the Romney campaign after Romney's recent commencement address at Liberty University, reinforcing his position against marriage equality.
"I feel that I no longer wish to support your presidential campaign and ask that you please return the maximum contribution that I gave to you last year," White wrote in a letter obtained by CNN. He added, "You have chosen to be on the wrong side of history and I do not support your run for president any longer."
White gave the maximum individual donation to the Romney campaign, $2,500. White is not affiliated with the Democrats or Republicans, and said that he has supported presidents Bill Clinton and George W. Bush. He also donated to Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign in 2008.
White told CNN that he still sides mostly with Romney on fiscal concerns, but Obama's recent revelation has changed his vote.
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary
- Lady Gaga Congratulates Tom Daley, Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics
- WATCH: Glenn Beck Has Gay Friends, So He's Not Intolerant
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? 13 min 36 sec ago
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary 46 min 35 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Santana Lopez as the Best Bad Santa Ever! 1 hour 6 min ago
- Religion WATCH: Robertson Prays for Gays 'Recruited' By Abuse 2 hours 57 min ago
- Women WATCH: Idina Menzel's Female Empowerment Anthem from Frozen 4:07 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: What's the Next Hot Destination? 3:20 PM
- Internet WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas? 2:50 PM