Dan Savage Versus GOProud in War of the F Word
BY Lucas Grindley
June 21 2012 3:35 PM ET
Dan Savage is getting attention again for using the word "faggot," this time to attack a group of LGBT conservatives.
GOProud endorsed Mitt Romney earlier this week. And numerous LGBT rights groups have objected primarily because Romney supports amending the Constitution to ban same-sex marriage while President Obama supports marriage equality and repeal of the Defense of Marriage Act.
"The GOP’s house faggots grab their ankles, right on cue," wrote Savage in reaction. "Pathetic."
Savage has a long history with the word. He used to begin each of his sex advice columns with the phrase, "Hey, Faggot," as part of his effort to reclaim it. But GOProud also has a history with the slur.
"I've just about had it with faggots who line their pockets with checks from antigay homophobes while throwing the rest of us under the bus," wrote cofounder Jimmy LaSalvia about a gay adviser to Rick Perry back when the Texas governor and presidential candidate aired an antigay ad.
LaSalvia later said he should not have used that word. And he called on Savage to issue a similar apology while saying there's a big difference between what he and Savage said.
"I don't hold myself up as the 'Antibullying Czar,'" LaSalvia said. "There's nothing wrong with having a glass of wine, but you are the head of the Prohibition Party, then you probably shouldn't buy a winery."
Savage is the founder of the It Gets Better Project, which fights antigay bullying in schools and tries to provide hope to young gays and lesbians who are contemplating suicide.
The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation has also been dragged into the fight, with Village Voice writer Steven Thrasher writing a scathing article daring the group to condemn Savage.
"What, we immediately had to think, will GLAAD have to say about this?" Thrasher wrote. "It's not just that GLAAD has a 25-year history of policing what the media should and shouldn't say, but that they've left little room for even the satirical use of the word faggot itself."
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 2 hours 44 min ago
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 4:00 AM
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM