GOProud Blasts Perry's Ad, Outs His Gay Pollster
BY Michelle Garcia
December 09 2011 12:28 PM ET
Two gay conservative leaders have blasted Texas governor Rick Perry's
antigay presidential campaign ad while also using a gay slur to out
Perry strategist Tony Fabrizio.
Following the release of Perry's ad condemning the repeal of "don't ask, don't tell" and calling for more religion in schools, GOProud cofounder Jimmy LaSalvia wrote on Twitter Wednesday, "I've just about had it with faggots who line their pockets with checks from antigay homophobes while throwing the rest of us under the bus." He later added that he was talking about a Perry strategist. His colleague Christopher Barron later clarified that they are taking issue with Fabrizio of Fabrizio, McLaughlin & Associates, who has a solid history of working for top-tier Republican politicians, as reported in Back2Stonewall. LaSalvia added, "So Rick Perry thinks that the service of tens of
thousands of patriotic Americans is what's wrong. No Governor, it's you
According to The Huffington Post, however, Fabrizio and other Perry staffers had a problem with the language in the spot, and Fabrizio called it "nuts."
Barron told the The Daily Caller Thursday that Perry's ad is "beyond antigay," calling it anti-American. He also called out Perry for telling the the Republican Jewish Coalition that Israel holds the same values as the U.S., even though Israel has allowed openly gay troops to serve for the past three decades.
"If Governor Perry honestly believes that one of the 'problems' facing our country today are the brave gay and lesbian women serving in our military who put our life on the line every single day for our freedoms, than he lacks the moral authority to be president," Barron said in a statement. "This ad plays to the cheap seats, appeals to the absolute worst in people. and is exactly what one would expect out of a desperate campaign entering its political end days."
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Gun Advocate Uses Gays To Make His Point 28 min 45 sec ago
- Music EXCLUSIVE: Audra McDonald's 'Some Days' 2 hours 5 min ago
- Travel A Handy, Color-Coded Map to Gay Europe 2 hours 18 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 4:40 AM
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 4:00 AM
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM