GOProud Blasts Perry's Ad, Outs His Gay Pollster
BY Michelle Garcia
December 09 2011 12:28 PM ET
Two gay conservative leaders have blasted Texas governor Rick Perry's
antigay presidential campaign ad while also using a gay slur to out
Perry strategist Tony Fabrizio.
Following the release of Perry's ad condemning the repeal of "don't ask, don't tell" and calling for more religion in schools, GOProud cofounder Jimmy LaSalvia wrote on Twitter Wednesday, "I've just about had it with faggots who line their pockets with checks from antigay homophobes while throwing the rest of us under the bus." He later added that he was talking about a Perry strategist. His colleague Christopher Barron later clarified that they are taking issue with Fabrizio of Fabrizio, McLaughlin & Associates, who has a solid history of working for top-tier Republican politicians, as reported in Back2Stonewall. LaSalvia added, "So Rick Perry thinks that the service of tens of
thousands of patriotic Americans is what's wrong. No Governor, it's you
According to The Huffington Post, however, Fabrizio and other Perry staffers had a problem with the language in the spot, and Fabrizio called it "nuts."
Barron told the The Daily Caller Thursday that Perry's ad is "beyond antigay," calling it anti-American. He also called out Perry for telling the the Republican Jewish Coalition that Israel holds the same values as the U.S., even though Israel has allowed openly gay troops to serve for the past three decades.
"If Governor Perry honestly believes that one of the 'problems' facing our country today are the brave gay and lesbian women serving in our military who put our life on the line every single day for our freedoms, than he lacks the moral authority to be president," Barron said in a statement. "This ad plays to the cheap seats, appeals to the absolute worst in people. and is exactly what one would expect out of a desperate campaign entering its political end days."
- HIV & AIDS HIV 101: Does Being Positive Mean I Have to Stop Having Sex? 5 min 39 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment EXCLUSIVE: Neil Patrick Harris, Behind the Shoot 1 hour 13 min ago
- HIV & AIDS Why Are a Higher Percentage of Native Americans Dying from AIDS Complications Than Any Other Group? 9:10 AM
- Arts & Entertainment Lorde Is Not Having Your Stupid Lesbian Joke 8:44 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: In Defense of Looking 7:00 AM
- Current Issue Truly Social Networking 6:01 AM
- Seat Filler 5 Must-See Shows: What's Gay Off-Broadway 5:00 AM