Country's 'Most Powerful Lesbian' Delivers Attack on Romney During DNC
BY Lucas Grindley
September 05 2012 1:32 AM ET
The woman who Seattle Gay News called "the most powerful lesbian in the country" delivered an attack on Mitt Romney's values during the Democratic National Convention on Tuesday.
Mary Kay Henry, the first woman president of the Service Employees International Union, represents more than 2 million members worldwide. But she's a native of Detroit.
"Even though Mitt Romney and I both call Detroit home, it seems like he learned a very different set of values," she said Tuesday.
Henry focused her attack on Romney's record as a businessman and what it says about him.
"When Mitt was starting out in business, he invested in the companies that were pioneers in outsourcing," Henry said. "He loaded up companies with debt, and, when they went bankrupt, he walked away with profits while workers lost their health care, their pensions and even their jobs."
"We just learned that when his company found itself in trouble, Mitt Romney asked for a government bailout," she continued, according to a transcript. "But when more than one million auto workers from Michigan to Wisconsin to Ohio saw their companies fall on hard times, you know what Mitt Romney said? 'Let Detroit go bankrupt.'"
Watch the complete speech in video from CSPAN below.
- Christian Woman Records Herself Losing it Over Marriage Equality, Gets Remixed
- Gay Wedding Advice for Gays and Straights
- Op-ed: What Happened When President Obama Met Two Trans Service Members
- Amber Heard: 'I Don't Want to Have to Deny My Sexuality in Order to Be Me'
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- PHOTOS: Toronto Shows Off Its Pride