Country's 'Most Powerful Lesbian' Delivers Attack on Romney During DNC
BY Lucas Grindley
September 05 2012 1:32 AM ET
The woman who Seattle Gay News called "the most powerful lesbian in the country" delivered an attack on Mitt Romney's values during the Democratic National Convention on Tuesday.
Mary Kay Henry, the first woman president of the Service Employees International Union, represents more than 2 million members worldwide. But she's a native of Detroit.
"Even though Mitt Romney and I both call Detroit home, it seems like he learned a very different set of values," she said Tuesday.
Henry focused her attack on Romney's record as a businessman and what it says about him.
"When Mitt was starting out in business, he invested in the companies that were pioneers in outsourcing," Henry said. "He loaded up companies with debt, and, when they went bankrupt, he walked away with profits while workers lost their health care, their pensions and even their jobs."
"We just learned that when his company found itself in trouble, Mitt Romney asked for a government bailout," she continued, according to a transcript. "But when more than one million auto workers from Michigan to Wisconsin to Ohio saw their companies fall on hard times, you know what Mitt Romney said? 'Let Detroit go bankrupt.'"
Watch the complete speech in video from CSPAN below.
- Time to #BoycottIndiana? Celebs Blow Up Social Media
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- 11 Bad Habits Killing LGBT People
- WATCH: To Rand Paul, Marriage Equality Signals 'Moral Crisis'
- After Indiana, 23 More States Could Pass Discrimination Bills
- Michigan Woman Sues Planet Fitness Over Trans-Inclusive Locker Room