Republican Who Broke With Her Party on DOMA Loses Election
BY Lucas Grindley
November 06 2012 8:55 PM ET
The Democrat, Chris Murphy, has won his quest for Connecticut's open seat in the U.S. Senate.
And that means Linda McMahon, the only Republican Senate candidate to step out of line with her party and say she'd vote to repeal the Defense of Marriage Act, has lost.
During a debate in October McMahon explained that her position had evolved along with Connecticut. "I have changed my position on DOMA because with now gay marriage approved in the state of Connecticut, I don't think it's fair," she said.
McMahon confirmed to reporters after the debate that she would vote to repeal DOMA. The Connecticut Supreme Court legalized same-sex marriage in 2008, and DOMA prevents the federal government from recognizing marriages of its residents.
Murphy painted himself, though, as the true defender of LGBT rights.
"The fact that Linda McMahon only spent 20 seconds answering that question tells you that she's not going to stand up to her party in Washington when it comes to these issues that right now are being dominated by the social right in Washington," he said during the debate.
The Human Rights Campaign praised Murphy's win.
"Over his three terms in the House of Representatives, Chris Murphy made his mark as a committed advocate for fair treatment and equal protection for all," said President Chad Griffin, noting his "optimism for future collaboration."
- BREAKING: Utah Marriage Ban Unconstitutional
- N.M. County Officials Resign Over Marriage Equality
- Duck Dynasty May Be Over After Antigay Tirade
- Hundreds of Catholic Students Protest Gay Vice Principal's Dismissal
- WATCH: Jon Stewart 'Sort of' Stands With Fox News in Defending Duck Dynasty Star
- Ugandan Parliament Passes Anti-Homosexuality Bill
- Marriage Equality Photo from Utah: First Gay Couple Married 41 min 23 sec ago
- Women LISTEN: Out Folk Duo Hannah & Maggie's Lesbian Love Letter to Mrs. Claus 1 hour 35 min ago
- Women INTERVIEW: Welcome to the Age of Mary Lambert 4:55 PM
- Style Daily Crush: Out Russian Olympics T-Shirt 4:48 PM
- Entertainment News Make These Golden Girls Legos Happen! 4:44 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Small Hotel or Resort 4:34 PM
- Comedy Best Tweets: 'Duck You, Phil Robertson' 4:29 PM