Is The GOP Discriminating Against Its Gay Candidates?
BY Lucas Grindley
December 05 2013 4:37 PM ET
One influential House Republican is pressuring the party's campaign committee to deny funds to any candidate who is gay, Politico reports.
All this is happening while Speaker John Boehner refuses to allow the House of Representatives to vote on the Employment Non-Discrimination Act, which bans discrimination against LGBT employees. Boehner has argued in the past that protection against discrimination isn't needed.
Now Politico reports that Virginia Rep. Randy Forbes is complaining about the possibility that funds collected from House members by the National Republican Congressional Committee might then be reallocated to Republican candidates who are gay. For example, Richard Tisei in Massachusetts is giving his run for the House a second try.
Forbes told Politico that “GOP leaders can do whatever they want" but then said "There would be a different situation if they tried to force other members to give money."
NRCC Chairman Greg Walden of Oregon sent a statement to Politico assuring that, “Our decisions on the Republican nominees we support will not be based on race, gender or sexual orientation but will be based on the strength of their candidacy and their ability to defeat Democrats.”
Read the complete story at Politico, including a look at Boehner's response to the controversy.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Seat Filler 5 Must-See Shows: What's Gay Off-Broadway 1 hour 14 min ago
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia March 11 2014 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis March 11 2014 6:25 PM