130 Reps Present Strike Against DOMA
BY Michelle Garcia
July 10 2012 1:24 PM ET
One-hundred thirty members of Congress filed a joint amicus brief supportive of a lesbian couple challenging the so-called Defense of Marriage Act in court.
Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, and all four openly gay members of the House, representatives Tammy Baldwin, Barney Frank, David Cicilline, and Jared Polis signed the brief released Tuesday for Golinski v. Office of Personnel Management. Karen Golinski, a federal court employee, sued the government after being denied equal spousal benefits for her wife that her colleagues in heterosexual marriages have access to under Section 3 of DOMA.
The brief argues that Section 3 of DOMA undermines Congress's legitimate interests, while also arguing that Section 3 is harmful because it was a clear, discriminatory strike against LGBT people and same-sex couples.
The Department of Justice recently asked the U.S. Supreme Court to hear the Golinski case, along with Massachusetts v. Department of Health and Human Services. The House’s Bipartisan Legal Advisory Group (BLAG), with Pelosi and Democratic Whip Steny Hoyer strongly objecting, hired outside lawyers to defend DOMA in court under the direction of Speaker John Boehner.
The brief also states that the BLAG lawyers do not speak for the entire House, and that not all representatives agree on the validity of DOMA.
The full brief is available here as a PDF.
See the signatories on the following page...
- Single, Fun, Fit, and 50
- Op-ed: In Defense of Jared Leto
- WATCH: Gay Couple Attacked in NYC on 10th Anniversary
- Op-ed: 'License to Discriminate' Bills Will Keep Coming
- Virginia's House of Delegates Repeals Sodomy Ban
- WATCH: Christian Pastors Involved in African LGBT Issues — But Not How You May Think
- World World Bank President Withdraws From Panel on 'Economic Impact of Homophobia' 53 min 56 sec ago
- Transgender Google's International Women's Day Doodle Includes Trans Women 1 hour 3 sec ago
- Sports College Swimmer Comes Out to Religious Mom 1 hour 19 min ago
- Media CNN to Test New Don Lemon Prime-Time Show 1 hour 33 min ago
- Religion WATCH: Christian Pastors Involved in African LGBT Issues — But Not How You May Think 1 hour 49 min ago
- Love and Sex Single, Fun, Fit, and 50 2 hours 1 min ago
- Travel Travelogue: News and Notes from Philly, San Diego and More 2 hours 18 min ago