Basketball Wives Stars Toasts Marriage Equality
BY Michelle Garcia
July 10 2012 8:40 PM ET
Retired L.A. Laker Doug Christie and his wife Jackie are known for their close relationship, featured on Basketball Wives L.A., the BET series Committed, and in their two co-authored books. But the two renewed their wedding vows on their 17th anniversary Monday night with a nod to the fight for marriage equality in West Hollywood. The Christies renewed their vows at Eleven nightclub with the NoH8 Campaign team standing by.
"As life-long supporters of the gay community, Doug and I remain humbled by the overwhelming love, acceptance and friendship they have extended with open arms while treating us like family," Jackie Christie said at the ceremony, according to a statement. "As we celebrate 17 years of marriage, it weighs heavy on our hearts that the same love shared by many of our friends is considered "less than" and is not widely recognized due to antiquated laws, lack of acceptance, and misperceptions, among other discriminatory factors. Tonight was nothing less than a celebration of the recent advancements made in the fight for Marriage Equality, but also a reminder of the work that still needs to be done. Until that battle is won, Doug and I will remain soldiers on the frontlines."
- Meet the Same-Sex Couple Who Made Dodger Stadium Swoon
- WATCH: You’ll Cry When You See What Happened During That Gay-Straight Prom Date
- WATCH: Texas B&B Boots Gay Couple, Gets Banned From Airbnb
- WATCH: The 8 Most Hateful Things Texas Lawmakers Said Monday
- WATCH: Dodger Stadium Reacts to Same-Sex Couple on Kiss Cam
- Marriage Equality Could Worsen Bisexual Erasure