WATCH: Minn. Republican Tears Up, Regrets DOMA Vote
BY Michelle Garcia
March 12 2013 12:46 PM ET
A former Minnesotan lawmaker who voted to ban same-sex marriage teared up when she testified before the state house on Monday, saying that she wished she had never voted for it.
"It was incredibly counter-intuitive for me to tell citizens how the government wanted them to live their lives," former Rep. Lynne Osterman said. "I didn't come to St. Paul to single out same-sex families, but in my only term as a member...I cast a politically expedient vote in favor of DOMA, and I have regretted that ever since."
Osterman only served one term in office, but she said that voting in favor of the law was politically expedient, and not fair.
"A 'no' vote is not fair, it's not respectful, and it's not equal," she said to current lawmakers. "I blew my vote, and I'm imploring you, please get this right."
Watch her testimony below:
- 11 Great New Tech Gifts
- Morrissey's Gay Relationship Scrubbed From U.S. Edition of Autobiography
- Op-ed: Love Starts With Acceptance
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- WATCH: Bill O'Reilly's 'War on Christmas' Led By Abortionists and Married Gays
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey 4:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Love Starts With Acceptance 4:00 AM
- Year in Review 11 Great New Tech Gifts 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! December 05 2013 7:57 PM
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport December 05 2013 7:33 PM
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip December 05 2013 7:12 PM
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! December 05 2013 6:54 PM