Delaware House Approves Marriage Equality
BY Michelle Garcia
April 23 2013 8:07 PM ET
Delaware's House of Representatives approved a bill to establish legal marriage rights for the state's same-sex couples with a 23-18 vote Tuesday.
The bill, which was introduced less than two weeks ago, will go to the Senate for a vote before heading to the desk of Gov. Jack Markell, who has said he would sign such a bill into law.
The state has extended civil unions rights to all same-sex couples since 2011. The legislative procedure to make marriages legal for Delaware's same-sex couples is relatively simple. Current law restricts marriage to two people of the opposite gender, but there is no constitutional ban on marriage equality. The proposed legislation will revise the statute language to establish marriage equality. With a strong Democratic base of voters, Democratic control of both the House and Senate, and Markell's endorsement, equality supporters don't anticipate a drawn-out fight.
The news comes as Rhode Island is also now poised to approve marriage equality, as the state Senate there is gearing up to vote on a similar bill this week.
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go'
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- Google's International Women's Day Doodle Includes Trans Women
- Retirement Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia 14 min 43 sec ago
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1 hour 3 min ago
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 2 hours 13 min ago
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop Dolan to NFL Hopeful Michael Sam: 'Bravo' UPDATED: March 08 2014 6:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine March 08 2014 2:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return March 08 2014 7:00 AM