France: Confused Antigay Politicians Accidentally Vote For Marriage Equality
BY Sunnivie Brydum
April 25 2013 11:33 AM ET
France's lower house of parliament legalized marriage equality on Tuesday by a vote of 331-225, clearing the way for same-sex marriage and adoption in France. But today, four members of parliament are saying they didn't really mean to vote in favor of equality, according to Salon.
Henri Guiano, a vocally antigay member of the right-wing Union for a Popular Movement party, said he was confused by the electronic voting system and accidentally voted for equality, when he actually opposes it. Three other members of Guiano's UMP party told French publication Le Point that they also inadvertently voted in favor of marriage equality while they actually oppose it.
Guiano blamed his confusion on "activity" in the Assembly, and flashing lights on the electronic voting system, according to a statement.
"You saw the mess that was?" Guiano told Le Point. "I've never seen such a mess in the assembly! There were three buttons flashing — yes, I [pushed] the wrong button!"
Guiano said he realized his mistake and approached the Assembly recorder to correct his vote. Of course, that still didn't change the overall outcome of the bill.
President François Hollande has already pledged to sign the bill into law. In addition to securing marriage rights for gay and lesbian couples, the bill also gives same-sex couples the right to adopt children. Once the law is finalized, France will be the ninth country in Europe and the 14th in the world (along with New Zealand and Uruguay, which have recently approved bills that are awaiting signature) to provide marriage rights to all of its citizens.
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics 22 min 6 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License 1 hour 6 min ago
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 1 hour 22 min ago
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM