WATCH: S.C. Mayor Says She's 'Being Crucified' for Antigay Rant
BY Trudy Ring
October 18 2013 8:21 PM ET
A mayor in South Carolina is getting criticism for an antigay post on Facebook, but she says she’s being “crucified” for “following Jesus.”
In her recent post, now deleted but quoted by Towleroad, West Union, S.C., mayor Linda Oliver objected to the decision by a Buncombe County, N.C., official to accept marriage applications from same-sex couples.
“What’s it gonna take to get these queers to realize they don’t need a piece of paper,” she wrote. “God will not bless their union because he plainly speaks against queers in the Bible. Want to cover your queer with insurance? Buy a policy. Want your queer to get your stuff when you die? Make a will.”
Some residents have urged that Oliver be recalled, but she attempted to justify her position in an interview this week with TV station WHNS in Greenville, S.C.
“All I can say is if people want to crucify me, that’s fine,” she said. “I know that following Jesus, I’m going to be crucified.” She also said, of same-sex marriage, “I don’t want it rammed down my throat.” She added, “The way I feel toward homosexuals is how I’ve been brought up,” and that she will now use the word “homosexual” instead of “queer.” Watch the video below.
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 7:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop of NY Applauds NFL Hopeful Michael Sam for Coming Out March 08 2014 5:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine March 08 2014 1:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return March 08 2014 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith March 08 2014 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM