WATCH: S.C. Mayor Says She's 'Being Crucified' for Antigay Rant
BY Trudy Ring
October 18 2013 9:21 PM ET
A mayor in South Carolina is getting criticism for an antigay post on Facebook, but she says she’s being “crucified” for “following Jesus.”
In her recent post, now deleted but quoted by Towleroad, West Union, S.C., mayor Linda Oliver objected to the decision by a Buncombe County, N.C., official to accept marriage applications from same-sex couples.
“What’s it gonna take to get these queers to realize they don’t need a piece of paper,” she wrote. “God will not bless their union because he plainly speaks against queers in the Bible. Want to cover your queer with insurance? Buy a policy. Want your queer to get your stuff when you die? Make a will.”
Some residents have urged that Oliver be recalled, but she attempted to justify her position in an interview this week with TV station WHNS in Greenville, S.C.
“All I can say is if people want to crucify me, that’s fine,” she said. “I know that following Jesus, I’m going to be crucified.” She also said, of same-sex marriage, “I don’t want it rammed down my throat.” She added, “The way I feel toward homosexuals is how I’ve been brought up,” and that she will now use the word “homosexual” instead of “queer.” Watch the video below.
- EXCLUSIVE: Bette Midler Covers TLC's 'Waterfalls'
- 7 Absurd Legal 'Arguments' Against Marriage Equality From a Straight Couple in Kansas
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- QUIZ: Are You Afraid of Gay PDA?
- Michigan: GOP Candidate With Felony-Fetish Arrests Warns Against 'Homosexual Agenda'
- Op-ed: How Transparent Tried and Failed to Represent Trans Men