WATCH: After 46 Years Together, Grandfathers Tie the Knot
BY Sunnivie Brydum
January 12 2014 4:06 PM ET
Together for 46 years, Lewis Duckett and Billy Jones married on June 15, 2013. The New York Times compiled a tender video profiling the couple and their nearly half-century relationship last summer. The video was recently posted on Upworthy, reigniting its popularity.
Those almost five decades together included Jones' stint in the armed services, when he was sent to Vietnam as a psychiatrist. The couple say they wrote letters back and forth daily, using coded language and changing gender pronouns to keep military officials in the dark about Jones' sexuality.
The couple married June 15, 2013, in Harlem's Riverside Church, escorted down the aisle by their son, with their granddaughter serving as ring bearer.
"Being married, now, nothing really feels different," explains Duckett. "I'm not sure what I was expecting — what differences that I thought would be there."
"It's an enhancement to the relationship that we had," added Jones.
Watch the video below.
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- Trixie Mattel on Drag Race Elimination: 'It Was Rude'
- Texas Successfully Blocks New Federal Rights for Gay Couples
- Audra McDonald Rips Indiana Governor Over Law
- Trans Teen Activist, Former Homecoming King, Dies in Charlotte, N.C.
- Gov. Mike Pence Just Gave Indiana a 'License to Discriminate'