Rev. Fears for Life After Denouncing Gays on Facebook
BY Michelle Garcia
May 23 2012 1:56 PM ET
A Mississippi Baptist minister-turned-lawmaker says he fears for his life after he reportedly cited Bible passages that denounced homosexuality on Facebook.
Rep. Andy Gipson, reacting to President Barack Obama's recent endorsement of marriage equality, said, "The only opinion that counts is God's," he said before posting a passage from the Book of Leviticus on May 10. The passage read, "If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads."
Soon after a petition was started demanding that Gipson apologize, and that he meet with LGBT activists. However Gipson then said, "I do not, cannot, and will not apologize for the inspired truth of God's Word."
MSNBC reported that Gipson has since been on the receiving end of death threats. He also said that he has "never publicly or privately called for the killing of any people."
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying?
- Op-ed: Democrats Throw Queers Under the Bus—Again
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra May 25 2013 6:30 PM
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? May 25 2013 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash May 25 2013 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings May 25 2013 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak May 25 2013 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 May 25 2013 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' May 25 2013 12:35 PM