Katy Butler Asks President and Romney to Wear Purple
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
October 14 2012 12:56 PM ET
Katy Butler, the 17 -year-old gay teen who made headlines earlier this year after she successfully lobbied the MPAA to change the rating of the documentary Bully, is back at it. She's launched a new Change.org petition with GLAAD calling for both President Obama and Mitt Romney to wear purple on October 19 to recognize Spirit Day – when millions wear purple to stand up against bullying and show support for LGBT young people.
Last year, GLAAD celebrated Spirit Day along wtih hundreds of celebrities, businesses, politicians, and groups including Facebook, the cast of Good Morning America, the NBA, and the New York Stock Exchange. GLAAD reports that there is also a text campaign to raise funds for GLSEN, Trevor Project, and GLAAD around Spirit Day. Real Housewives star Camille Grammar is among the celebs promoting Spirit Day via Twitter.
The newest participant? Gay Boy Scout Ryan Andresen and LGBT activist Zach Wahls, who met this week at the Change.org office and offered their support for Spirit Day.
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- Gay Women - News & Culture for Lesbian, Bisexual, and Trans Women
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM