Katy Butler Asks President and Romney to Wear Purple
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
October 14 2012 1:56 PM ET
Katy Butler, the 17 -year-old gay teen who made headlines earlier this year after she successfully lobbied the MPAA to change the rating of the documentary Bully, is back at it. She's launched a new Change.org petition with GLAAD calling for both President Obama and Mitt Romney to wear purple on October 19 to recognize Spirit Day – when millions wear purple to stand up against bullying and show support for LGBT young people.
Last year, GLAAD celebrated Spirit Day along wtih hundreds of celebrities, businesses, politicians, and groups including Facebook, the cast of Good Morning America, the NBA, and the New York Stock Exchange. GLAAD reports that there is also a text campaign to raise funds for GLSEN, Trevor Project, and GLAAD around Spirit Day. Real Housewives star Camille Grammar is among the celebs promoting Spirit Day via Twitter.
The newest participant? Gay Boy Scout Ryan Andresen and LGBT activist Zach Wahls, who met this week at the Change.org office and offered their support for Spirit Day.
- Artist Spotlight: Czanara
- Hot Sheet: Guardians and Go-Go Boys
- Michael Lannan's Looking Is More Than Gay Sex and the City
- LISTEN: 19 Kids and Counting Star Records Transphobic Robocall
- Love Overshadows Westboro Baptist Church's Plan to Protest Robin Williams Funeral
- Federal Judge Rules Indiana Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages