Katy Butler Asks President and Romney to Wear Purple
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
October 14 2012 1:56 PM ET
Katy Butler, the 17 -year-old gay teen who made headlines earlier this year after she successfully lobbied the MPAA to change the rating of the documentary Bully, is back at it. She's launched a new Change.org petition with GLAAD calling for both President Obama and Mitt Romney to wear purple on October 19 to recognize Spirit Day – when millions wear purple to stand up against bullying and show support for LGBT young people.
Last year, GLAAD celebrated Spirit Day along wtih hundreds of celebrities, businesses, politicians, and groups including Facebook, the cast of Good Morning America, the NBA, and the New York Stock Exchange. GLAAD reports that there is also a text campaign to raise funds for GLSEN, Trevor Project, and GLAAD around Spirit Day. Real Housewives star Camille Grammar is among the celebs promoting Spirit Day via Twitter.
The newest participant? Gay Boy Scout Ryan Andresen and LGBT activist Zach Wahls, who met this week at the Change.org office and offered their support for Spirit Day.
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- WATCH: Chelsea Handler Skewers Piers Morgan as a 'Terrible Interviewer'
- WATCH: 20 Strangers Kiss for the First Time
- 'Tranny Awards' Changes Its Name, Not Its Nature
- S.C. House Approves Budget Cuts to Colleges With LGBT Curricula
- Television First Look: OITNB Season 2 25 min 35 sec ago
- Transgender 'Tranny Awards' Changes Its Name, Not Its Nature 55 min 48 sec ago
- Love and Sex WATCH: 20 Strangers Kiss for the First Time 58 min 22 sec ago
- Women Why You Need to See Demi Lovato's Neon Lights Tour STAT 1 hour 4 min ago
- Marriage Equality Young Repubs Express Big Support for Marriage Equality 1 hour 24 min ago
- Television Teen Wolf Adds Gay Character, Expands Lacrosse Team 1 hour 28 min ago
- Women 5 Reasons to Watch CW's Arrow and 'Quiver!' 1 hour 28 min ago