Congressman Doesn't Support 'Sex Changes' Because He 'Likes Being a Boy'
BY Michelle Garcia
April 09 2013 2:36 PM ET
A House Republican said he did not think that the Affordable Care Act should not cover procedures like gender transition surgery because he "likes being a boy."
“I don’t want to pay for a sex change operation,” Rep. Paul Broun of Georgia said at a town hall meeting, according to the Barrow County News. “I’m not interested. I like being a boy.”
Broun, who is a medical doctor, was likely referring to a proposal by the Obama Administration to provide gender transition therapy to transgender people, as prescribed by a doctor. The Affordable Care Act currently does not cover transition surgery, as stated by the Department of Health and Human Services.
The statement is similar to Republican Sen. Saxby Chambliss, also of Georgia, who rationalized his opposition to marriage equality with this statement: "I'm not gay. So I'm not going to marry one."
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM