Gay Activists Interrupt Marco Rubio Speech
BY Neal Broverman
May 19 2013 2:03 PM ET
Activists angry at the immigration stance of Florida senator Marco Rubio interrupted his speech at Saturday's Hillsborough County Republican Party Lincoln Day Dinner in Tampa.
Rubio is part of the "Gang of 8" working to craft immigration reform legislation, but the Republican has said he will harpoon any bill that includes provisions to assist LGBT binational couples.
"Include our families in immigration reform!" the activists screamed. "All families matter!" The protesters were affiliated with the advocacy group GetEqual, and included LGBT, Latino, and immigration rights activists.
Rubio, who many pundits believe has presidential ambitions, is hostile towards gay rights. He is trying to woo Latino voters, but it's not clear that holding up immigration reform by throwing LGBT binational couples under the bus will help his reputation. Recent polls found that 64% of Latino voters support including same-sex binational couples in immigration reform.
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- HIV & AIDS Why Are a Higher Percentage of Native Americans Dying from AIDS Complications Than Any Other Group? 47 min 37 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Lorde Is Not Having Your Stupid Lesbian Joke 1 hour 13 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: In Defense of Looking 2 hours 57 min ago
- Current Issue Truly Social Networking 6:01 AM
- Seat Filler 5 Must-See Shows: What's Gay Off-Broadway 5:00 AM
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM