Gay Activists Interrupt Marco Rubio Speech
BY Neal Broverman
May 19 2013 2:03 PM ET
Activists angry at the immigration stance of Florida senator Marco Rubio interrupted his speech at Saturday's Hillsborough County Republican Party Lincoln Day Dinner in Tampa.
Rubio is part of the "Gang of 8" working to craft immigration reform legislation, but the Republican has said he will harpoon any bill that includes provisions to assist LGBT binational couples.
"Include our families in immigration reform!" the activists screamed. "All families matter!" The protesters were affiliated with the advocacy group GetEqual, and included LGBT, Latino, and immigration rights activists.
Rubio, who many pundits believe has presidential ambitions, is hostile towards gay rights. He is trying to woo Latino voters, but it's not clear that holding up immigration reform by throwing LGBT binational couples under the bus will help his reputation. Recent polls found that 64% of Latino voters support including same-sex binational couples in immigration reform.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- California Becomes First State to Ban Gay, Trans 'Panic' Defenses
- Read This Mich. Democrat's Epic Response to Antigay Group's 'Pile of Excrement'
- Bible-Quoting Man Shoots Couple With BB Gun Outside Minneapolis Gay Bar
- Outrage After Major Minn. Paper Sells Transphobic Coalition Full-Page Ad
- 10 Transgender Kings and Queens Who Ruled the School