Westboro Follower Running for Kansas School Board
BY Michelle Garcia
June 26 2012 5:46 PM ET
A man running for the Kansas state school board is a follower of the Westboro Baptist Church and says public schools should stop teaching evolution, which he called a "satanic lie."
Jack Wu is challenging Democratic incumbent Carolyn Campbell, who supports the state's current science education, which treats evolution as a valid, scientific concept, the Associated Press reports. Campbell was supposed to run unopposed, but Wu said he believed someone had to challenge the incumbent.
"She's going to win my district without a fight?" he said. "I'm not going to let that happen."
Campbell, who is seeking a second term, also served on the Topeka, Kan., school board for 12 years. She would not talk to the AP about Wu's religious affiliation, but said she is a Christian who believes "children should have a well-rounded education on evolution."
- Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview
- Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina
- Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer
- Game Developers Conference Tackles LGBT Representation in Video Games
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds March 15 2014 9:11 PM
- Religion Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia March 15 2014 7:41 PM
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman March 15 2014 2:59 PM
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men March 15 2014 2:52 PM
- Transgender Trans Contestant is Miss Congeniality at Calif. Beauty Pageant March 15 2014 11:57 AM
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda March 15 2014 5:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina March 15 2014 4:00 AM