Westboro Follower Running for Kansas School Board
BY Michelle Garcia
June 26 2012 4:46 PM ET
A man running for the Kansas state school board is a follower of the Westboro Baptist Church and says public schools should stop teaching evolution, which he called a "satanic lie."
Jack Wu is challenging Democratic incumbent Carolyn Campbell, who supports the state's current science education, which treats evolution as a valid, scientific concept, the Associated Press reports. Campbell was supposed to run unopposed, but Wu said he believed someone had to challenge the incumbent.
"She's going to win my district without a fight?" he said. "I'm not going to let that happen."
Campbell, who is seeking a second term, also served on the Topeka, Kan., school board for 12 years. She would not talk to the AP about Wu's religious affiliation, but said she is a Christian who believes "children should have a well-rounded education on evolution."
- Music WATCH: The Best (and Not So Best) of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music 40 min 36 sec ago
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback December 09 2013 4:10 PM