Westboro Follower Running for Kansas School Board
BY Michelle Garcia
June 26 2012 5:46 PM ET
A man running for the Kansas state school board is a follower of the Westboro Baptist Church and says public schools should stop teaching evolution, which he called a "satanic lie."
Jack Wu is challenging Democratic incumbent Carolyn Campbell, who supports the state's current science education, which treats evolution as a valid, scientific concept, the Associated Press reports. Campbell was supposed to run unopposed, but Wu said he believed someone had to challenge the incumbent.
"She's going to win my district without a fight?" he said. "I'm not going to let that happen."
Campbell, who is seeking a second term, also served on the Topeka, Kan., school board for 12 years. She would not talk to the AP about Wu's religious affiliation, but said she is a Christian who believes "children should have a well-rounded education on evolution."
- 7 Brave Campuses for LGBT Students in the South
- Op-ed: In The Long Run, Michael Sam Being Cut Was About Homophobia
- Michael Sam Passed Over By Every NFL Team
- WATCH: Gay Teen Explains What Bible Really Says
- WATCH: Which State's Marriage Equality Proposal Will Make SCOTUS Say 'I Do?'
- Comedian's Billboard Taunts Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka