Westboro Follower Running for Kansas School Board
BY Michelle Garcia
June 26 2012 5:46 PM ET
A man running for the Kansas state school board is a follower of the Westboro Baptist Church and says public schools should stop teaching evolution, which he called a "satanic lie."
Jack Wu is challenging Democratic incumbent Carolyn Campbell, who supports the state's current science education, which treats evolution as a valid, scientific concept, the Associated Press reports. Campbell was supposed to run unopposed, but Wu said he believed someone had to challenge the incumbent.
"She's going to win my district without a fight?" he said. "I'm not going to let that happen."
Campbell, who is seeking a second term, also served on the Topeka, Kan., school board for 12 years. She would not talk to the AP about Wu's religious affiliation, but said she is a Christian who believes "children should have a well-rounded education on evolution."
- Gallery of Geek: Yannick Tallarida
- Op-ed: I'm a Trans Man Who Doesn't 'Pass' — And You Shouldn't Either
- Dan Savage Calls Out Duggar's 'Staggering' Family Values Hypocrisy
- 11 Sweet Celebrity Tweets Celebrating Ireland's Marriage Equality Win
- Eurovision Winner Who Called Gays an 'Abnormality' Changes Tune
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers