WATCH: 'Hardball' on the 'Ex-Gay' Movement
BY Trudy Ring
June 22 2013 3:28 PM ET
MSNBC’s Hardball With Chris Matthews had gay activist Wayne Besen of Truth Wins Out and psychotherapist Laura Berman as guests Friday to discuss the shutdown of Exodus International and the harm done by so-called reparative therapy, aimed at turning gay people straight.
Both the host and his guests denounced such therapy as wrongheaded and harmful, and lauded the progress toward LGBT equality in the U.S., which much remains to be done. “Today, it’s gone beyond tolerance to acceptance,” said Matthews. Added Besen: “Equality is an unstoppable train.” See video of the segment below.
Meanwhile, Exodus leader Alan Chambers, who has apologized for promoting reparative therapy, told The Christian Science Monitor, in an article published Saturday, that the successor organization to Exodus will offer a place “where people can come together who have different opinions, and different worldviews, to talk about really complex issues,” such as bullying and harassment.
Exodus’s renunciation of reparative therapy hasn’t set well with all conservative Christians, and some continue to endorse it. “The ex-gay movement has nothing to apologize for,” said Peter Sprigg of the antigay Family Research Council in a statement to the Monitor. “The message that ‘change is possible’ is a modest one. It does not mean that change is easy, nor that change is mandatory. But to apologize for saying ‘change is possible’ is to deny both human freedom and the transforming power of the gospel of Christ.”
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- Comedy WATCH: Billy Eichner and Amy Poehler Have Aggressive Christmas Spirit 29 min 58 sec ago
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: One Day in Big Gaylarious America 7:00 AM
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous 6:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior 5:00 AM
- Parenting Nonprofit Serves Up Resource to Answer LGBT Parents' Questions 5:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM