Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia
BY Neal Broverman
March 15 2014 7:41 PM ET
The heir to Billy Graham's evangelical throne, son Franklin Graham, is telling his flock that Vladimir Putin's state-sanctioned homophobia should serve as a lesson to President Obama.
Writing in his own Decision magazine, Graham called Obama's embrace of LGBT rights "shameful," and said he should follow in Putin's footsteps. The Russian leader signed a bill that criminalizes gay "propaganda" and his government does little to prevent antigay violence.
“Isn’t it sad, though, that America’s own morality has fallen so far that on this issue — protecting children from any homosexual agenda or propaganda — Russia’s standard is higher than our own?," wrote Graham, who included some caveats, saying his support for Putin wasn't unequivocal.
“In my opinion, Putin is right on [LGBT] issues,” Graham writes. “Obviously, he may be wrong about many things, but he has taken a stand to protect his nation’s children from the damaging effects of any gay and lesbian agenda.”
Graham leads the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association and often strikes a more polemic tone than his father did during the Reagan and Bush years. Read more here.
- Westboro Baptist Joins the Anti-Kim Davis Bandwagon But the Reason May Surprise You
- WATCH: Funny or Die Spoofs Kim Davis With Clerks and Recreation
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- WATCH: Steve Grand Is Going to Be This Marine's Date to Marine Ball
- 5 HIV-Positive Men Give Advice to Their Former Selves
- Op-ed: It Doesn't Matter How Many Times Kim Davis Was Wed