San Francisco Health Program to Expand Transgender Coverage
BY Trudy Ring
November 07 2012 5:06 PM ET
The San Francisco Health Commission today voted unanimously to remove transgender exclusions from the Healthy San Francisco program, which provides health care for uninsured residents.
The program previously covered hormone treatment and mental health services related to gender transition, but it did not cover gender-reassignment surgery or certain related surgical procedures that were available to clients who were not transgender, such as breast reduction.
The vote implements a resolution sponsored by San Francisco Board of Supervisors member Scott Wiener and passed by the full board. The Health Commission is the governing and policy-making body of the Department of Public Health, which runs the Healthy SF program. The San Francisco Health Council, a group of community advocates convened by Transgender Law Center and Lyon-Martin Health Services’ collaborative program Project Health, had been working since 2010 to have the transgender exclusions removed.
“Removing these exclusions will make a real difference in the lives of transgender San Franciscans, especially those who struggle to make ends meet,” said Masen Davis, executive director of the Transgender Law Center, in a news release. “I am grateful for the leadership of our Health Council members, Supervisor Weiner, and many others who have all worked together to make this happen.”
In a report called “The State of Transgender California,” the Transgender Law Center found that transgender Californians experience unemployment and poverty at rates twice the state average, 42% have delayed seeking health care because they could not afford it, and 26% report health conditions had worsened because they postponed care.
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Gay Politics - Marriage Equality, Gay Rights, Anti-Discrimination
- Current Issue The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd 1 hour 6 min ago
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open March 09 2014 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play March 09 2014 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' March 09 2014 11:50 AM