Hong Kong's Highest Court Considers Trans Woman's Marriage
BY Sunnivie Brydum
April 15 2013 2:56 PM ET
The highest court in Hong Kong is scheduled to hear this week what is being hailed as the city's first case testing the Chinese province's stance on transgender equality, reports FT.com.
The case revolves around a transgender woman who has undergone gender-affirming surgery and legally changed her gender marker to female. The woman, identified only as "W" for privacy reasons, wants Hong Kong's Court of Final Appeals to overturn a lower court ruling declaring that the woman cannot legally marry her boyfriend because she was assigned male at birth.
FT.com points out the irony that while the government now refuses to recognize her marriage, a government program provided W with counseling and surgery, and the same government permitted W to change her gender marker.
W's attorney says his client just wants to be sure that the state's definition of "woman" in the law describing marriage as the "union between one man and one woman," will fully, irrevocably apply to her.
"W is treated as a woman by society in ever other way," W's lawyer, Michael Vidler, told FT.com. "If she was admitted to [a] hospital tomorrow, she would be put in a women's ward. So why should she not be married as a woman?"
Read more here.
- BREAKING: Utah Marriage Ban Unconstitutional
- Duck Dynasty May Be Over After Antigay Tirade
- N.M. County Officials Resign Over Marriage Equality
- Hundreds of Catholic Students Protest Gay Vice Principal's Dismissal
- WATCH: Jon Stewart 'Sort of' Stands With Fox News in Defending Duck Dynasty Star
- Fab or Fail? 2013's Cultural Ups and Downs
- Women INTERVIEW: Welcome to the Age of Mary Lambert 1 hour 49 min ago
- Style Daily Crush: Out Russian Olympics T-Shirt 1 hour 56 min ago
- Entertainment News Make These Golden Girls Legos Happen! 2 hours 57 sec ago
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Small Hotel or Resort 2 hours 10 min ago
- Comedy Best Tweets: 'Duck You, Phil Robertson' 2 hours 15 min ago
- Marriage Equality BREAKING: Utah Marriage Ban Unconstitutional UPDATED: 2 hours 20 min ago
- Education Hundreds Protest Gay Vice Principal's Dismissal 3:16 PM