WATCH: Barneys New York Centers Spring Catalog Around Trans Models
BY Parker Marie Molloy
January 30 2014 11:54 AM ET
Luxury retailer Barneys New York has taken things in a new direction for its spring 2014 catalog. The new campaign, titled "Brothers, Sisters, Sons & Daughters," will feature a number of transgender models. The 17 models were photographed by Bruce Weber and interviewed by Vanity Fair's Patricia Bosworth. Rather than releasing a traditional catalog, Barneys will be releasing portfolios with photos of the models and their stories, along with a series of videos to coincide with the campaign.
The models participating in the campaign include Arin Andrews, Katie Hill, Edie Charles, Valentijn de Hingh, Ashley de la Cruz, Sawyer Devuyst, Peche Di, Dezjorn Gauthier, Trevon Haynes, Eve Lindley, Niki M’nray, Ryley Pogensky, Ines Rau, May Simon, Ahya Taylor, Maxie Neu, and Gisele Xtravaganza.
Speaking with Women's Wear Daily, Barneys' creative director Dennis Freedman shared his inspiration behind the campaign, saying it had "a lot to do with the realization that such extraordinary progress has been made in the last few years for the lesbian, gay, and bisexual community, but it's striking how the transgender community has been left behind. It's disturbing and upsetting to see that."
Barneys also announced it will donate 10 percent of all sales February 11 to the National Center for Transgender Equality and the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Community Center.
Watch the first video in the series below.
- Texas Pastor Who Threatened to Set Himself Aflame Now 'Loves' Gays
- WATCH: Mississippi Clerk Refuses to Wed Gay Couples, Quits After 24 Years
- George Takei Takes on Clarence Thomas and Donald Trump (and Wins!)
- Girl Scouts Return $100K When Donor Demands It 'Not Be Used' For Trans Girls
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- Tennessee Hardware Store Puts Up 'No Gays Allowed' Sign