WATCH: Barneys New York Centers Spring Catalog Around Trans Models
BY Parker Marie Molloy
January 30 2014 11:54 AM ET
Luxury retailer Barneys New York has taken things in a new direction for its spring 2014 catalog. The new campaign, titled "Brothers, Sisters, Sons & Daughters," will feature a number of transgender models. The 17 models were photographed by Bruce Weber and interviewed by Vanity Fair's Patricia Bosworth. Rather than releasing a traditional catalog, Barneys will be releasing portfolios with photos of the models and their stories, along with a series of videos to coincide with the campaign.
The models participating in the campaign include Arin Andrews, Katie Hill, Edie Charles, Valentijn de Hingh, Ashley de la Cruz, Sawyer Devuyst, Peche Di, Dezjorn Gauthier, Trevon Haynes, Eve Lindley, Niki M’nray, Ryley Pogensky, Ines Rau, May Simon, Ahya Taylor, Maxie Neu, and Gisele Xtravaganza.
Speaking with Women's Wear Daily, Barneys' creative director Dennis Freedman shared his inspiration behind the campaign, saying it had "a lot to do with the realization that such extraordinary progress has been made in the last few years for the lesbian, gay, and bisexual community, but it's striking how the transgender community has been left behind. It's disturbing and upsetting to see that."
Barneys also announced it will donate 10 percent of all sales February 11 to the National Center for Transgender Equality and the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Community Center.
Watch the first video in the series below.
- Donald Trump Takes a Day to Get Up to Speed on Kim Davis
- Westboro Baptist Joins the Anti-Kim Davis Bandwagon But the Reason May Surprise You
- Meet the Trans Man and Pansexual Woman Married by Kentucky Clerk Kim Davis
- WATCH: Funny or Die Spoofs Kim Davis With Clerks and Recreation
- Newlywed Photos That Will Make Kim Davis's Head Spin
- WATCH: Steve Grand Is Going to Be This Marine's Date to Marine Ball