Report: More Than 100 Instances of Antitrans Violence This Year
BY Parker Marie Molloy
May 13 2014 4:09 PM ET
The Trans* Violence Tracking Portal keeps tabs on antitransgender incidents of violence. Based on data through the first third of the year, 2014 looks to become one of the most violent years for trans individuals to date.
By the end of April this year, at least 102 trans individuals were murdered. Victims include an 8-year-old boy who was beaten to death by his father, a 14-year-old who was strangled to death, and two 16-year-olds who were shot to death. 36 murders involved multiple gunshot wounds, 14 murders were stabbings, 11 individuals were beaten to death, three died as a result of being burned, three were dismembered, two were tortured to death, two were strangled, one was hanged, one died of having her throat slit, and one individual was stoned to death.
While these numbers alone are staggering, they only account for a fraction of violence experienced by trans people. The TVTP sources its data from media reports and from users who submit incident reports to the organization. By comparison, last year, an estimated 238 trans people were murdered, though again, it is widely believed that this figure underestimates the true number of trans victims of violence. The annual Transgender Day of Remembrance, observed each November 20, looks to honor victims of antitrans violence and murder.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Read This Mich. Democrat's Epic Response to Antigay Group's 'Pile of Excrement'
- California Becomes First State to Ban Gay, Trans 'Panic' Defenses
- The New 'Republicans Are People Too' Twitter Campaign Is An Epic Fail
- Bible-Quoting Man Shoots Couple With BB Gun Outside Minneapolis Gay Bar
- Outrage After Major Minn. Paper Sells Transphobic Coalition Full-Page Ad