Scout Wants Nothing to Do With the Group
BY Neal Broverman
July 30 2012 1:49 PM ET
A suburban Chicago man joins a growing list of former Eagle Scouts renouncing their involvement in the homophobic group.
As a scout for 10 years and a troop leader for another decade, Rob Breymaier says he's long opposed the Scouts' antigay policy, refusing to kick out any gay Scouts in his group; he claims he was always hopeful the ban on gay and bi Scouts and leaders would soon come to an end. But when the organization recently reaffirmed the ban, Breymaier quit the organization and returned his medals to the group.
"I could always explain away that it was an old policy and that sooner or later, we’ll be able to force a vote on the issue," Breymaier told the Boston Herald. "But when this vote happened and they reaffirmed the policy, it was just too much. It was infuriating, embarrassing and upsetting."
The Boy Scouts report at least five other Eagle Scouts, the highest rank in the organization, returned their medals. The number appears to be much larger, as a tumbler blog has been launched chronicling those leaving the antigay organization.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books 53 min 6 sec ago
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 2 hours 30 min ago
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 2 hours 35 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM