Detour to Hell? Road Sign Reads 'God Hates Gays'
BY Nazly Siadate
August 10 2012 3:43 PM ET
An illuminated road sign that read, “God Hates Gays” was installed on the side of a road in Provo, Utah, near the Mormon-affiliated Brigham Young University late Tuesday night. Motorist Annie Frewin was driving home on University Avenue when the sign caught her attention. She later posted a video of it to Youtube and Facebook, urging others to repost.
“[Nine times out of ten] there is a cop on that street, because I've never ever gone down that road, especially at 1 a.m., without seeing at least three cops at one end of that road between the overpass and the freeway entrances," Frewin wrote on Facebook. "If it was about anything else, it would already been taken down.”
The sign was under the jurisdiction of the Interstate 15 highway, and was removed at 5:30 am, Wednesday.
Leigh Dethman, spokeswoman for the I-15 corridor expansion project, stated that the message board’s computer was left unsecured and allegedly tampered with by an unidentified person, as there was no video surveillance of the area.
UDOT, the traveller information provider in Utah, and Provo River Constructors are taking preventive measures by inspecting 40 message boards near the corridor project and ensuring their computers are securely locked.
Provo Mayor John Curtis released a statement to Raw Story stating, “This is an unfortunate example of someone with a problem who doesn’t represent the minds and hearts of the residents of Provo.”
- Parenting What's in My Dad Bag? 55 min 57 sec ago
- Politics Timeline: When Executive Orders Came First? 1 hour 56 min ago
- Current Issue One Issue Still Bucks The Trend for LGBT Equality 2 hours 56 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: 'License to Discriminate' Bills Will Keep Coming 4:00 AM
- Women Ellen's Oscars' Selfie Gets Simpson-ized! March 06 2014 7:56 PM
- Travel General Motors Hopes to Impress You at Mammoth Gay Ski Week March 06 2014 7:24 PM
- Women WATCH: American Idol's Out Contestant MK Nobilette Does 'Drops of Jupiter' March 06 2014 7:18 PM