Detour to Hell? Road Sign Reads 'God Hates Gays'
BY Nazly Siadate
August 10 2012 3:43 PM ET
An illuminated road sign that read, “God Hates Gays” was installed on the side of a road in Provo, Utah, near the Mormon-affiliated Brigham Young University late Tuesday night. Motorist Annie Frewin was driving home on University Avenue when the sign caught her attention. She later posted a video of it to Youtube and Facebook, urging others to repost.
“[Nine times out of ten] there is a cop on that street, because I've never ever gone down that road, especially at 1 a.m., without seeing at least three cops at one end of that road between the overpass and the freeway entrances," Frewin wrote on Facebook. "If it was about anything else, it would already been taken down.”
The sign was under the jurisdiction of the Interstate 15 highway, and was removed at 5:30 am, Wednesday.
Leigh Dethman, spokeswoman for the I-15 corridor expansion project, stated that the message board’s computer was left unsecured and allegedly tampered with by an unidentified person, as there was no video surveillance of the area.
UDOT, the traveller information provider in Utah, and Provo River Constructors are taking preventive measures by inspecting 40 message boards near the corridor project and ensuring their computers are securely locked.
Provo Mayor John Curtis released a statement to Raw Story stating, “This is an unfortunate example of someone with a problem who doesn’t represent the minds and hearts of the residents of Provo.”
- Marriage Equality Australia Re-Bans Same-Sex Marriage 6 min 43 sec ago
- Entertainment News Damien Lewis vs. Ian McKellen: Homeland Actor Apologizes 9 min 18 sec ago
- Politics WATCH: Right-Wing 'Documentary' Tries to Defend 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 17 min 26 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Ellen Will Tell You if She and Portia Are Getting Divorced! 1 hour 36 min ago
- Media Game of Thrones Video Game Announced 1 hour 42 min ago
- World News Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance' 1 hour 48 min ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Whet Your Appetite for Gay Polo's Biggest Event 1 hour 49 min ago