Father of Teen Who Killed Himself to Walk Across America
BY Neal Broverman
April 22 2013 3:36 PM ET
Joe Bell, the father of a 15-year-old who took his life after enduring antigay bullying, will walk across America to teach and inspire others.
Bell's son Jadin hung himself in January after suffering repeated harassment at his Oregon school; the teen reportedly complained to school officials about the treatment. Now, three months later, Joe Bell will walk 5,000 miles across America, traveling through the southern states and ending in Delaware. Bell will stop at schools and discuss the importance of reporting and taking action against homophobic bullying.
"It will be a healing process," a friend of Bell's told the La Grande Observer.
- 14 Camp Classics We Can't Stop Quoting — Bad Girls Edition
- WATCH: Preview of Tomorrow's Supreme Court Argument
- Another Event Moves; Gay Hotel Owners Apologize for Ted Cruz Dinner Party
- The Backlash
- Op-ed: Bruce Jenner Helps Us Stand Taller in Our Truth
- More Events Cancel Over Gay Hotel Owner's Ted Cruz Dinner Party