Father of Teen Who Killed Himself to Walk Across America
BY Neal Broverman
April 22 2013 3:36 PM ET
Joe Bell, the father of a 15-year-old who took his life after enduring antigay bullying, will walk across America to teach and inspire others.
Bell's son Jadin hung himself in January after suffering repeated harassment at his Oregon school; the teen reportedly complained to school officials about the treatment. Now, three months later, Joe Bell will walk 5,000 miles across America, traveling through the southern states and ending in Delaware. Bell will stop at schools and discuss the importance of reporting and taking action against homophobic bullying.
"It will be a healing process," a friend of Bell's told the La Grande Observer.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Op-ed: Be a Lady, Not a Tramp
- Shonda Rhimes to Antigay Viewer: 'Bye Felicia'
- Michael Sam Released From Dallas Cowboys, Vows to Fight for Opportunity to 'Play Every Sunday'
- Federal Judge Upholds Puerto Rico Marriage Ban
- WATCH: Ruth Bader Ginsburg Sees 'No Crying Need' for SCOTUS to Take Up Marriage