Father of Teen Who Killed Himself to Walk Across America
BY Neal Broverman
April 22 2013 3:36 PM ET
Joe Bell, the father of a 15-year-old who took his life after enduring antigay bullying, will walk across America to teach and inspire others.
Bell's son Jadin hung himself in January after suffering repeated harassment at his Oregon school; the teen reportedly complained to school officials about the treatment. Now, three months later, Joe Bell will walk 5,000 miles across America, traveling through the southern states and ending in Delaware. Bell will stop at schools and discuss the importance of reporting and taking action against homophobic bullying.
"It will be a healing process," a friend of Bell's told the La Grande Observer.
- Panic! at the Disco Counters Westboro Baptist Church Picket With Donation
- Shocking Increase in HIV Diagnosis Rate Among Young Gay, Bi Men
- WATCH: Do Kids Movies Push The 'Gay Agenda'?
- Fox Pundit: Obama Forcing 'Militant LGBT Agenda' on Christians
- GLAAD Studio Responsibility Index Reveals Lack of LGBT Visibility
- Op-ed: All Gay People Are Screwed Up and It's OK