Father of Teen Who Killed Himself to Walk Across America
BY Neal Broverman
April 22 2013 3:36 PM ET
Joe Bell, the father of a 15-year-old who took his life after enduring antigay bullying, will walk across America to teach and inspire others.
Bell's son Jadin hung himself in January after suffering repeated harassment at his Oregon school; the teen reportedly complained to school officials about the treatment. Now, three months later, Joe Bell will walk 5,000 miles across America, traveling through the southern states and ending in Delaware. Bell will stop at schools and discuss the importance of reporting and taking action against homophobic bullying.
"It will be a healing process," a friend of Bell's told the La Grande Observer.
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court 1 min 28 sec ago
- Travel Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride 24 min 54 sec ago
- Television Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay 33 min 40 sec ago
- Youth Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill 40 min 22 sec ago
- Uganda Op-ed: Uganda's Top Tabloid Isn't News, It's a Hit List 1 hour 22 min ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Miami's Winter Party Combines Skin, Philanthropy 1 hour 54 min ago
- Television Fox's Brooklyn Nine-Nine Quietly Breaks Ground 2 hours 9 sec ago