Designing for a Cause
BY Layla Dhere
July 14 2009 12:00 AM ET
Acclaimed interior designer David Phoenix attributes his success to the man who mentored him as a teen.
"He took me under his wing after I ran away from home, and I attribute a lot of my success to him," Phoenix says. "I think everyone needs a role model, and that's how I've tried to live my life."
Accustomed to designing interiors for the rich and famous, Phoenix now has a very different project on his hands -- designing an after-school space for the LGBT youth mentoring program LifeWorks.
Phoenix was introduced to the Los Angeles nonprofit in 2006 through a close friend, LifeWorks board president Chip Sullivan. While previously unfamiliar with the program, Phoenix immediately got intensely involved after cochairing an event for the center.
"Once I got into it and saw some of the mentees, it was a no-brainer for me."
LifeWorks was started in 2002 by Garrison Smith and Michael Ferrera, who met while working for the Los Angeles Gay and Lesbian Center. They believe in helping LGBT teens in five areas of their development: home, health, education, career, and personal development. It's one of a a few gay and lesbian centers specifically for LGBT youths, which Phoenix says is what makes the program significant.
- PHOTOS: Baltimore's First Pride With Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: Why Cindy McCain Really Is a 'Hero'
- Man of Steel: A Gay Allegory For Our Time
- PHOTOS: French Photographer Fights Homophobia With 'Imaginary Couples'
- No Marriage Rulings From Supremes Today
- WATCH: For Father's Day, This 10-Year-Old Wants Job Security for Her Gay Dads
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel PHOTOS: L.A.'s Favorite Park Reopens After $45M Renovation June 17 2013 8:54 PM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Series Easy Abby Season Finale June 17 2013 8:16 PM
- Women Melissa Etheridge Says Angelina Jolie Made 'Fearful Choice' on Breast Cancer June 17 2013 6:46 PM
- Entertainment News NYC Gay Bar Gets Reality Show... June 17 2013 6:09 PM
- Women Duh: Ellen DeGeneres Is Still Most Recognizable Gay American June 17 2013 6:07 PM
- Sports Greg Louganis is Getting Married June 17 2013 6:06 PM
- Religion Gay Catholics Turn Their Backs to Cardinal Who Compared LGBT Equality to KKK June 17 2013 5:20 PM