74% of Russians Reject Homosexuality, Says Survey
BY Daniel Reynolds
August 06 2013 3:55 PM ET
Nearly three out of four Russians think homosexuality should be rejected by society, according to a recent survey by the Pew Research Center.
The study found that 74% of Russians answered “no” to the question: “Should society accept homosexuality?” Russia ranked as having the highest rejection of gay people in the Europe, following Poland (46%) and Greece (40%). In contrast, the rest of the European Union tallied overwhelming acceptance of gay people, with Spain boasting the highest percentage of "yes" responses at 88%.
The report, released on June 4, follows Vladimir Putin’s signing of the “anti-gay propaganda law” and a string of human rights abuses against the country’s LGBT population, including the recent attack on a gay activist by ex-paratroopers and the emergence of a neo-Nazi group that lures and tortures gay men.
The Pew Research Center surveyed 37,653 individuals in 39 counties from March 1 to May 1, 2013. The study found high acceptance of gay people in the European Union, Canada (80%), Australia (79%), the Philippines (73%), and Latin American nations Argentina (74%) and Chile (68%). In the United States, 60% of respondents said society should accept homosexuality (a number that has risen at least 10 percentage points since 2007), while 33% of U.S. respondents said society should reject homosexuality.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia March 11 2014 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis March 11 2014 6:25 PM
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 March 11 2014 5:55 PM