74% of Russians Reject Homosexuality, Says Survey
BY Daniel Reynolds
August 06 2013 2:55 PM ET
Nearly three out of four Russians think homosexuality should be rejected by society, according to a recent survey by the Pew Research Center.
The study found that 74% of Russians answered “no” to the question: “Should society accept homosexuality?” Russia ranked as having the highest rejection of gay people in the Europe, following Poland (46%) and Greece (40%). In contrast, the rest of the European Union tallied overwhelming acceptance of gay people, with Spain boasting the highest percentage of "yes" responses at 88%.
The report, released on June 4, follows Vladimir Putin’s signing of the “anti-gay propaganda law” and a string of human rights abuses against the country’s LGBT population, including the recent attack on a gay activist by ex-paratroopers and the emergence of a neo-Nazi group that lures and tortures gay men.
The Pew Research Center surveyed 37,653 individuals in 39 counties from March 1 to May 1, 2013. The study found high acceptance of gay people in the European Union, Canada (80%), Australia (79%), the Philippines (73%), and Latin American nations Argentina (74%) and Chile (68%). In the United States, 60% of respondents said society should accept homosexuality (a number that has risen at least 10 percentage points since 2007), while 33% of U.S. respondents said society should reject homosexuality.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- 11 Great New Tech Gifts
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination December 07 2013 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer December 07 2013 4:00 AM