At GLSEN Awards, Stars Share Their Growing Pains
BY Daniel Reynolds
October 09 2012 8:07 PM ET
Honoree-2012 Inspiration Award Matt Bomer, Michael Patrick King and Honoree-2012 Inspiration Award Simon Halls.
At the eighth annual GLSEN Respect Awards, movie stars and high school students walked side by side down the Beverly Hills Hotel red carpet. The occasion, which honored Matt Bomer and his partner Simon Hall, shone a Hollywood spotlight on the systemic problems facing American schools, and the LGBT youth working to enact change.
While the Student Ambassadors expressed awe of their company ("I can’t believe I’m standing next to Amy Adams!" one gushed), it was ultimately the celebrities — among them Octavia Spencer, Jim Parsons, Chely Wright, Willie Garner, Wilson Cruz, and Joe Manganiello — who rose to applaud the fresh-faced advocates. Inspired, many of them recalled their own growing pains.
“I came from a small town, and grew up next to the same 33 kids kindergarten through 12th grade in one building. Everybody knew everything about everybody,” said singer Chely Wright, standing alongside her wife on the red carpet. “I took a lot of crap I didn’t have to take, for fear of being outed.”
- Another Gay Man Attacked in New York City
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good As Dead, Say Advocates
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Music WATCH: Is This the Worst Music Video Ever? 1 min 53 sec ago
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame 3 min 24 sec ago
- Politics Democratic 'Betrayal' Leaves Binational LGBT Families Stranded 14 min 46 sec ago
- Travel Peace Corps Opens to Same-Sex Couples 29 min 59 sec ago
- Commentary Why it's Time to Stop Stigmatizing Haitians 43 min 52 sec ago
- Health and Treatments Is There Such a Thing as HIV-Negative AIDS? 46 min 32 sec ago
- Religion Church of Scotland to Allow Gay Ministers 58 min 21 sec ago