High School Student Comes Out in English Class Assignment
BY Michelle Garcia
January 29 2013 3:27 PM ET
Students at an unnamed high school were asked to write an assignment for an AP English class titled "The Weight That I Carry." One student decided to write about his fear of coming out, which he had been carrying since middle school.
"I just don't want to be hated," the student wrote in the letter, which he posted on Reddit earlier this month. "Or even worse, kicked out of people's lives. I want things to stay the same, but I want to get rid of this weight."
The teacher replied, "I am honored to be a witness to this weight being lifted off. You are an amazing, dynamic, compassionate, 'with it' young man, who will give the world a gift just by you being you, offering your love, and spirit. If people choose not to be comfortable with your honesty -- their loss, my friend -- their loss."
And the student got 100 on the assignment.
Click on the letter below for the larger version:
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- WATCH: Texas Airline Crowd Tackles Antigay Attacker
- In The Studio: Artists and Nude Models
- Are These the Most Antigay Governors in America?
- EXCLUSIVE: Bette Midler Covers TLC's 'Waterfalls'
- PHOTOS: U.S. Marine Now in Filipino Custody After Protests Over Trans Woman's Murder