High School Student Comes Out in English Class Assignment
BY Michelle Garcia
January 29 2013 2:27 PM ET
Students at an unnamed high school were asked to write an assignment for an AP English class titled "The Weight That I Carry." One student decided to write about his fear of coming out, which he had been carrying since middle school.
"I just don't want to be hated," the student wrote in the letter, which he posted on Reddit earlier this month. "Or even worse, kicked out of people's lives. I want things to stay the same, but I want to get rid of this weight."
The teacher replied, "I am honored to be a witness to this weight being lifted off. You are an amazing, dynamic, compassionate, 'with it' young man, who will give the world a gift just by you being you, offering your love, and spirit. If people choose not to be comfortable with your honesty -- their loss, my friend -- their loss."
And the student got 100 on the assignment.
Click on the letter below for the larger version:
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- WATCH: Right-Wing 'Documentary' Tries to Defend 'Ex-Gay' Therapy
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! 11 min 30 sec ago
- Coming Out WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video 34 min 22 sec ago
- People Photo of the Day: DLB and Tom Daley Share a Moment in Houston 41 min 50 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Australia Re-Bans Same-Sex Marriage 49 min 55 sec ago
- Entertainment News Damien Lewis vs. Ian McKellen: Homeland Actor Apologizes 52 min 30 sec ago
- Politics WATCH: Right-Wing 'Documentary' Tries to Defend 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 1 hour 38 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Ellen Will Tell You if She and Portia Are Getting Divorced! 2 hours 19 min ago