High School Student Comes Out in English Class Assignment
BY Michelle Garcia
January 29 2013 3:27 PM ET
Students at an unnamed high school were asked to write an assignment for an AP English class titled "The Weight That I Carry." One student decided to write about his fear of coming out, which he had been carrying since middle school.
"I just don't want to be hated," the student wrote in the letter, which he posted on Reddit earlier this month. "Or even worse, kicked out of people's lives. I want things to stay the same, but I want to get rid of this weight."
The teacher replied, "I am honored to be a witness to this weight being lifted off. You are an amazing, dynamic, compassionate, 'with it' young man, who will give the world a gift just by you being you, offering your love, and spirit. If people choose not to be comfortable with your honesty -- their loss, my friend -- their loss."
And the student got 100 on the assignment.
Click on the letter below for the larger version:
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Harvey Milk Day Has Group Worried About 'Indoctrinating' Kids
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 6 min ago
- Women SheWired Shot of the Day: Chloe Sevigny Absolut-ly Sizzles for Elyxr 30 min 54 sec ago
- Crime Arrest Made in Latest Antigay Attack in NYC 41 min 37 sec ago
- Youth Anonymous Boy Scouts Employee Says Antigay Policy Hurts Business 46 min 14 sec ago
- Youth Harvey Milk Day Has Group Worried About 'Indoctrinating' Kids 1 hour 2 min ago
- Theater See Which Hunk Won the 2013 Broadway Beauty Pageant 1 hour 6 min ago
- Politicians Harvey Milk Day: First Park in Nation Named for Rights Pioneer 1 hour 18 min ago