No One Helped Gay Couple Attacked on NYC Subway
BY Sunnivie Brydum
February 20 2013 3:03 PM ET
A 23-year-old gay man and his boyfriend say they were physically and verbally assaulted on a New York City subway Monday night, noting that a crowd of bystanders did nothing to intervene.
Urena Morel Frankelly and his partner say they were heading south on the No. 2 train when they say a woman began taking pictures of them, leading to a confrontation where the suspects hurled antigay slurs at the couple, reports the New York Daily News. When Frankelly asked the woman why she was taking a picture of him eating food on the train, the suspect allegedly responded by shouting, "Feed your face, faggot."
The Daily News reports that another woman chimed in, apparently asking Frankelly's partner, "Why you with that faggot?"
An argument ensued, and the women were joined by three others and a man, who all attacked Frankelly, according to police. When Frankelly's partner attempted to intervene, he was repeatedly punched, reports the Daily News. Frankelly was treated at St. Luke's Hospital for a left eye swollen shut, with a cut above the socket.
The couple managed to get off the train at the next stop and call police, who are investigating the incident as a possible hate crime. Investigators from the Manhattan Hate Crime Task Force interviewed Frankelly and his partner about the incident, according to the Daily News.
"Everyone was watching," Frankelly's partner told the Daily News. "No one helped us. That was a very scary situation for us."
No arrests have been made, according to Daily News.
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Op-ed: Love Starts With Acceptance
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- WATCH: New 'It Gets Better' Campaign Aimed at Russian LGBT Youth
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey 1 hour 54 min ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Love Starts With Acceptance 1 hour 55 min ago
- Year in Review 11 Great New Tech Gifts 1 hour 55 min ago
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! December 05 2013 7:57 PM
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport December 05 2013 7:33 PM
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip December 05 2013 7:12 PM
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! December 05 2013 6:54 PM