New Mexico Marriage Plaintiff Dies at 44
BY Michelle Garcia
November 12 2013 3:44 PM ET
A woman who sued the state of New Mexico with her partner for the rights of same-sex couples to marry has died of cancer at age 44.
Jennifer Neuman-Roper married Angelique Neuman-Roper in an impromptu ceremony in August at the cancer center in Santa Fe where she was receiving treatment, according to the Albuquerque Journal. It was the same day a judge ordered the Santa Fe County clerk to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples, a decision spurred largely by the couple's request to expedite the lawsuit due to Jennifer's failing health.
The couple, who were together for more than 20 years, had a more formal ceremony in October. Together, they had three sons, Jayms, David, and Damion.
Jennifer Neuman-Roper suffered frp, stage 4 glioblastoma, an aggressive form of brain cancer. She will be among the first in the state to be issued a death certificate that includes a same-sex spouse.
American Civil Liberties Union of New Mexico executive director Peter Simonson said Neuman-Roper was a "beloved member of her community, a loving mother and wife, and a trail blazer for marriage equality in New Mexico. Her participation in the New Mexico freedom to marry case helped open the door for thousands of same-sex couples to celebrate their love and commitment in marriage here in our state."
Neuman-Roper worked as technology director for the Pueblo of Pojoaque Boys and Girls Club, according to her obituary. In lieu of flowers, the family is asking for donations to the Jen Roper Memorial Fund, which will go toward scholarships at the Boys and Girls Club.
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia March 11 2014 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis March 11 2014 6:25 PM
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 March 11 2014 5:55 PM